State owned range in Farmington,Oh

scottb

Went out with Speedytriple today to the state owned range in Farmington,Ohio, off RTE 88 and 528. This range is about 15 minutes north of A and A outdoor range( near Nelson Ledges). From the ODNR website, you can get a single day pass for $5 or a season pass for $24. The best part about the state range is that you do not pay per hour. So you are not playing "beat the clock" like you do at other pay by the hour places.

After a 10 minute safety meeting with the range master ( required for first time visitors) just pick your lane, 60 lanes total, and start setting up. This range has shooting benches and a cover / overhang for most of the benches.

The range allows for shooting at targets only. They provide a target stand that you can tape your paper targets onto. To get your target out on the line, you ask for a "cease-fire". All other shooters have to put the weapons down, and move behind a yellow line,away from the benches. The cease fire was not a big deal since there was only 1 other shooter, besides me and Mike.

Overall, a great place to shoot. Even though it is a little bit of a drive, you save on the range time. But you do go through more ammo,since you can shoot longer.

When I was on the 100 yard range, I learned I need a better scope on my 22LR to shoot on a true 100 yard range. I could see the targets, but could not really tell where my shots were going. I ended up on the 25 yard range towards the end of the day.

Next time we / I go, I will let you know. I only have 22LR, a Savage bolt action and a Marlin 795 semi-auto. Checking clubs/ ranges, I think this the state range is the best deal going, $24 for a season. I dont think i want to join a sportsman club just yet. There are 2 clubs that require service at club events. Not that it is a bad thing, but at this point, I just enjoy shooting and learning.

At A and A range, they only charge $6 for shooting 25 skeet clays. They also have an event called 5 stand, that looks challanging. So maybe one Saturday we can see if there are any other OR members that would like to try skeet. Then we can call ahead and see if A and A offers a group rate.

I try to get out to the range at least twice a month.

Yeah, Scott is right the state run range was pretty nice and the price is very good. For those of you who have kids if they are under 18 thry can shoot on your pass for free. I took my 9 year old with us with his 22/20ga. He liked it alot better then the indoor range he has gone to before. Scott the price for a group for 5 stand was $36 the one guy said the time we were watching. Only draw back to the state range or A&A is they are better for rifles/shotguns. The pistol range is 25 yards at the state range and the target must be set up at 25 yards. Kinda hard to practice self defense shooting at 75 feet!

Went out with Speedytriple today to the state owned range in Farmington,Ohio, off RTE 88 and 528. This range is about 15 minutes north of A and A outdoor range( near Nelson Ledges). From the ODNR website, you can get a single day pass for $5 or a season pass for $24. The best part about the state range is that you do not pay per hour. So you are not playing "beat the clock" like you do at other pay by the hour places.

After a 10 minute safety meeting with the range master ( required for first time visitors) just pick your lane, 60 lanes total, and start setting up. This range has shooting benches and a cover / overhang for most of the benches.

The range allows for shooting at targets only. They provide a target stand that you can tape your paper targets onto. To get your target out on the line, you ask for a "cease-fire". All other shooters have to put the weapons down, and move behind a yellow line,away from the benches. The cease fire was not a big deal since there was only 1 other shooter, besides me and Mike.

Overall, a great place to shoot. Even though it is a little bit of a drive, you save on the range time. But you do go through more ammo,since you can shoot longer.

When I was on the 100 yard range, I learned I need a better scope on my 22LR to shoot on a true 100 yard range. I could see the targets, but could not really tell where my shots were going. I ended up on the 25 yard range towards the end of the day.

Shooting 22 at 100 yards is very challenging and you probably dont realize exactly how much your bullet drops at that distance. Im guessing you dont have your rifle correctly setup to handle that distance with your 22 and scope.