Handling Differences?

Dweezel

Okay, so the Bass Boat is sold and gone. I'm gonna pick up an 08 in the spring. I've got allot of friends that ride, about an even split between 600s and 1000s, and 2 on 750s. The guys on the liter bikes say the handling difference is unnoticeable. But there not the guys who I ride with in the twisties. The guys I go hit the corners with all drive 600's religiously, and these are serious guys, like Stefan, Rocky, repsoil etc etc, They say the liter bikes are too heavy to throw around like they do, But most of the serious guys I've met from this site are on liter bikes... Soooo....

Heres the question.

Is there a huge difference in handling between the 600/750/1000 bikes? I was going to go with the black/black GSXR-1000, then the other day I noticed there offering the 750 in black/black which sparked my interest.

Okay, so the Bass Boat is sold and gone. I'm gonna pick up an 08 in the spring. I've got allot of friends that ride, about an even split between 600s and 1000s, and 2 on 750s. The guys on the liter bikes say the handling difference is unnoticeable. But there not the guys who I ride with in the twisties. The guys I go hit the corners with all drive 600's religiously, and these are serious guys, like Stefan, Rocky, repsoil etc etc, They say the liter bikes are too heavy to throw around like they do, But most of the serious guys I've met from this site are on liter bikes... Soooo....

Heres the question.

Is there a huge difference in handling between the 600/750/1000 bikes? I was going to go with the black/black GSXR-1000, then the other day I noticed there offering the 750 in black/black which sparked my interest.

My personal thing: if you're going to get serious about twisties with track days, etc, get the smaller bike. If you just like to fuck around on the streets and go really fast, get a litre bike.

Get a 600. You really dont need a 1000cc bike. A new 600 is gonna be so fast compared to your old bike. It wont even be funny. Plus the insurance will be cheaper!! And I think a 600 is more fun to ride. Liter bikes tend to scare me and get me in trouble. I have a speed problem, its seems like a liter bike never stops...

For the street the 1000cc is my choice for several reasons.

1. You don't have to work as hard (less shifting, power when you want it).

2. Most will not feel the difference on the street between 600 and 1000. You can't push hard enough on the street to feel the difference (if you do then you won't be upright very long) Hell I have ridden my 03 600 and my 06 1000 back to back on the track and can't really feel the difference of turn in (just the extra 30 mph I am scrubbing into the corner.

3. I enjoy having the ability to get kick ass acceleration with minimal work on the street. I don't have to nail the gas on the 1000 as I would end up doing on the 600.

Id say those people who say on the street they can feel the difference of turn in are not using their bars for turn in or at least not enough. Bikes today respond so quick to bar inputs it really isn't that hard to turn them in. Now holding on to the 1000 on exit is a lot of fun.

well

600 = 169 top end with a high 10's in the 1/4 (i think)

1000 = 187 top end (limited) @ a 9.99 1/4 mile (i think)

not a huged diff in my opinion....

either way, you can kill yourself or another on either bike just as easily.......its all in your mind-set ......

get a 750 zuki...power of a 1000 and the handling of a 600!!!!! that would be my next choice :)

I think you are on the right track with the black/black 750.The 750 will almost run with the 1000s in a staight line and almsot turn with the 600s in the twisties.The difference between the 600 and the 1000 on the street is the torque coming out of the corner and acceleration above 120 m.p.h.. I'm sure this is going to cause an arguement but here goes.The 1000 makes more torque it is more likely to spin up the rear tire while exiting the corners.The 1000 also accelerates a good deal faster above 120 so it is easier to enter a corner at a higher rate of speed.Then again the 1000 is faster and more fun out on the freeway.They both have their ups and downs.I still vote for the 750 but the decision is yours.You just need to decide what you want to have a greater edge in.

I think you are on the right track with the black/black 750.The 750 will almost run with the 1000s in a staight line and almsot turn with the 600s in the twisties.The difference between the 600 and the 1000 on the street is the torque coming out of the corner and acceleration above 120 m.p.h.. I'm sure this is going to cause an arguement but here goes.The 1000 makes more torque it is more likely to spin up the rear tire while exiting the corners.The 1000 also accelerates a good deal faster above 120 so it is easier to enter a corner at a higher rate of speed.Then again the 1000 is faster and more fun out on the freeway.They both have their ups and downs.I still vote for the 750 but the decision is yours.You just need to decide what you want to have a greater edge in.

Another factor is the fact that to get the same pull out of the corner as a 600 the 1000 can operate in the lower RPM. Which isn't as violent of input into the tire. On the track I found that I could come out harder on the 1000 with less work. On the 1000 you can leave getting that extra power on exit later since you have more power then you can on a 600. On the 600 you are trying to get as much power and pull out of the corner as soon as you can. On the 1000 you can hold off that few more degrees of lean angle and still get more corner exit speed then 600s are capable of.

It is easy to make a 1000 turn just as easy as a 600 with small geometry change and just give the bar that extra push to turn in and you are there.

Alright, so it's not a huge night and day difference if the bike is set up properly? I mainly ride on the street, would like to go to a track day but it's not something I do religiously every weekend. I go to the drag strip every weekend or so, and hang out at the local street racing spot at night. Do twisties in the day, then head out to the local hang out.

Top speed isn't a huge concern, although it is a blast and I've done it a few times

Guess it's looking like there will be a new GSX-R 1000 in the garage come march.

I own a 1000cc because I've got a small penis and need to overcompensate via my literbike.

In all seriousness, there are positives and negatives regarding the three classes. And this thread is not going to give you a clear answer.

My suggestion. Look at your finances and then do some pricing comparisons. Then look at resale value. Then get the best bike for your buck.

OR

Ignore all of the know it all weekend warriors on this forum (including myself) and pick the best looking bike with the color scheme you want. The bike that looks coolest to you will be the one that you ride the most. As a result it will turn out to be the best bike/cc class for you.

I want a Black/Black Gixxer, and I loved my 750, but untill last week didn't know they were going to be available in black/black, thought just the liter bikes were, so I was set on those, and I do like the looks of the liter bikes better, anr't they all new this year too?

Two of us are going to get new bikes this year, so we're going to try to see if we can get a better deal buying them at the same time.

I own a 1000cc because I've got a small penis and need to overcompensate via my literbike.

Ignore all of the know it all weekend warriors on this forum (including myself) and pick the best looking bike with the color scheme you want. The bike that looks coolest to you will be the one that you ride the most. As a result it will turn out to be the best bike/cc class for you.

+1

the 08 GSXR 1K is the same as the 07... They will be changing the model again in 09...

I thought the 1ks were off a year from the 600/750 bikes?

Nice! I'm starting to wonder if I even have one, Owning a Vette, Syclone and soon a 1000cc bike :p

I thought the 1ks were off a year from the 600/750 bikes?

They are..

04-05 600/750s are the same

06-07 600/750s are the same

08-09 600/750s are the same (they just changed the models for 08)

05-06 1K's are the same

07-08 1K's are the same (just changed the model for the 07)

09-10 1K's will be the same

lol I did, and I knew what I was typing, but typed it wrong!

Correction:

I thought 08 was the year for the 1000 change

oh ok.. yeah they just changed them in 07 and will do it again in 09.. The only real change between the 07 and 08 1K is that they set up the 08 just a little bit higher 5mm to be exact... 08 also has a 4.6 gallon tank whereas the 07 has a 4.8 gallon tank. oh yeah and for 08 they have a Cali model which weighs 3lbs more. this is also most likely the reason for the tank differences as well. I guess the dual pipes alone do not meet cali emissions standards thus the reason for a cali model bike.. Just ask putty about cali model bikes. he loves them hahahaah:D

Im going to have to hit up a dealership and measure where the 5mm ride height difference is.. guessing they lowered the forks in the triple and adjusted the rear shock.. Wonder why though.

Did you feel your bike was lacking in the midrange? Because that's the main difference I notice between the 1000 and 750. I wouldn't get the 600, at least get a 750. My 1000 feels a lot like my 750 did, more power but more weight too. They both seemed to do the same wheelies, I'd give a slight nod to my 750 overall just because you felt like you were really riding it, versus it riding you at times. It flew as well, I used to tell everyone who ridiculed it because it wasn't a 1000 to put it in 3rd gear, open it up wide open and see how long you can do that before the corner came up and scared the living shit out of you. That would shut up anyone who never rode a good 750, because believe me, you would see God pretty quick.

And like Kevin Schwantz says, "open it up until you see God, then brake." And if you do that on a properly geared 750 Gixxer (I liked 1 down front, up 2 rear for the street the best because I'm heavier than just about everyone on this forum and it woke it up) you won't feel you're lacking anything.

Cycle World and just about every motorcycle mag, from Roadracing World to Sport Rider, and Schwantz, all have said they liked the 750 best of the three. So I guess the debate will continue. But what was said, that the 1000s are somewhat easier to ride because of the extra torque is also true. So I guess whoever said go with what you think is the most beautiful also has a lot of merit. Because it's true.

Since so many of us have bikes, you could just wait and ride several to see what you liked the best. You can't go wrong with any of them, if that's any consolation. It's the best time ever to have a sportbike, hands down. So you're a lucky man, D.

In all seriousness, there are positives and negatives regarding the three classes. And this thread is not going to give you a clear answer.

My suggestion. Look at your finances and then do some pricing comparisons. Then look at resale value. Then get the best bike for your buck.

OR

+1

Did you feel your bike was lacking in the midrange? Because that's the main difference I notice between the 1000 and 750. I wouldn't get the 600, at least get a 750. My 1000 feels a lot like my 750 did, more power but more weight too. They both seemed to do the same wheelies, I'd give a slight nod to my 750 overall just because you felt like you were really riding it, versus it riding you at times. It flew as well, I used to tell everyone who ridiculed it because it wasn't a 1000 to put it in 3rd gear, open it up wide open and see how long you can do that before the corner came up and scared the living shit out of you. That would shut up anyone who never rode a good 750, because believe me, you would see God pretty quick.

And like Kevin Schwantz says, "open it up until you see God, then brake." And if you do that on a properly geared 750 Gixxer (I liked 1 down front, up 2 rear for the street the best because I'm heavier than just about everyone on this forum and it woke it up) you won't feel you're lacking anything.

Cycle World and just about every motorcycle mag, from Roadracing World to Sport Rider, and Schwantz, all have said they liked the 750 best of the three. So I guess the debate will continue. But what was said, that the 1000s are somewhat easier to ride because of the extra torque is also true. So I guess whoever said go with what you think is the most beautiful also has a lot of merit. Because it's true.

Since so many of us have bikes, you could just wait and ride several to see what you liked the best. You can't go wrong with any of them, if that's any consolation. It's the best time ever to have a sportbike, hands down. So you're a lucky man, D.

I have always wanted to flog a 750. I got to ride Flounders but with the headshake from the Rotors at 100mph, 120mph was all I was willing to do. Yeah the 750 didn't have that instant power the 1000 had but had enough in 1st and 2nd to keep those used to 1000s happy.

Thing with wheelies is that the CBRs always had a more forward bias even though one may not feel it in the ergos, but they always were known for refusing to wheelie.