Carb Cleaning Help Please

Jst2fst

Does anyone know if yo can use carb cleaner that that goes in the tank for car for a bike? I plan on cleaning my carbs this weekend using some spray carb cleaner and using a carb cleaner you add to the fuel. Has anyone evey tried this?

most of those add in's are snake oil. some help a little bit, but nothing is going to get it as clean as it will get if you take them off and clean them by hand.

yamaha carb cleaner IMO is one of the best ones out there.

do you have a manual?

Yea I have a manual for the bike I saw where it shows you how to clean the carbs. I just dont have that much time. I just need to clean the carbs some to see how she runs and if I need or have to buy anything else needed for running. I bought my bike and it needs some TLC in running.

find someone who knows what they are doing and are willing to help you out. i think there are a lot of people here who would. offering beer helps ;)

i would help you but honestly im booked all weekend and into next week.

you could try to find some yamaha carb cleaner.

its called "carburetor cleaner" and it comes in a plastic jug. you mix it with gas.

i think the part number is #ACC-CARBC-LE-NR

iron pony may have it, or could order it.

this is what i just found online about it:

Follow the directions carefully and PERFORM THIS WORK OUTDOORS DUE TO FUMES AND FIRE HAZARDS. The product is intended to be diluted with gasoline (1:3 ratio). First, drain all your carb bowls completely. Remove the fuel line to the carb plenum at the point where it leaves the fuel pump. Extend this line if necessary and attach a small funnel. Carefully and slowly pour the diluted cleaner mixture in through the funnel. It will take approximately 180cc to fill all 4 bowls. It may be necessary to gently tap the carb bowls with a plastic mallet to get the floats to release if they’re stuck in the closed position. If you’ve added 200cc of mixture and it seems that you could add more DON"T…you probably have a float stuck in the open position.

Place a fuel line from the fuel pump to a suitable catch container. Now, with the kill switch set to "OFF" operate the starter for 5 seconds with throttle wide open. This will draw some of the mixture into the carb circuits.

After 2 hours, drain the bowls and refill using fresh gasoline through the funnel. Reconnect your fuel line and go for a test ride. If you still have carb problems, the directions say you should repeat as above except leave the mixture in overnight. I’ve repeated this cycle up to 4 times before finally getting good results. This was on a bike that sat for 4 years with fuel in the bowls!

Generally, I will augment this process by removing the idle mixture screws and squirting aerosol carb cleaner through these circuits. I use a plastic attachment on the end of the red "straw" that permits a fairly effective "seal" so that I get pressure to help force the action. Also, I always make other external checks to make sure the choke shafts are free and that I have no sticking throttle slides.

Important: the Yamaha "Carburetor Cleaner" is intended for use in carbs only per the instructions on the bottle. Never add this product to the fuel in your fuel tank! It you do, you may regret it very much as it can loosen all manner of crud which will quickly clog your main fuel filter and float valve inlet screens.

If you use this product and determine that you still have carb issues which require disassembly, you’re still ahead as your carbs will require much less work to clean once they’re apart.

I've had good luck using stuff called Seafoam. They sell it at Autozone and the like. Whenever one of my old bikes sits around for a while and starts acting cranky, I dump a couple ounces in the tank with some fresh gas and ride through the tank. 9/10 times it does the job. Only time it doesn't work is when there's something pretty solid jamming up one of the jets.

• 2 months later...