just ordered my Driod X

kawi kid

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have no idea what the difference is haha
Rooting your phone means giving yourself root, or superuser (think...admin) access, giving you access to system files and the ability to change things that normally are marked read only

This allows you to change all kinds of things that normally you wouldn't be able to, along with install custom versions of Android.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/hacking/4654-what-does-rooting-your-phone-actually-mean.html

A custom ROM is a fully standalone version of the OS, including the kernel (which makes everything run), apps, services, etc – everything you need to operate the device, except it’s customized by someone in some way.

So what does the "customized" part mean? Since Android is open source, developers are free to take stock ROMs, modify them, strip them of garbage, optimize them, add things, and pretty much do whatever their imagination and skills allow.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/05/01/custom-roms-for-android-explained-and-why-you-want-them/

Just as a couple side notes: the Key Ring app, I use it for more than just key ring stuff (i.e. Kroger's, Petsmart, etc.).

Simple.... But I think that's pretty damn cool

just got mine. i'm gonna have to spit on it to make it fit.

i was kinda hoping since they passed the rule to make it legit for consumers to load whatever the hell they want on their smartphones, crap like efuse would therefore be illegal. but i'm probably missing details that don't allow this.

...i was kinda hoping since they passed the rule to make it legit for consumers to load whatever the hell they want on their smartphones, crap like efuse would therefore be illegal. but i'm probably missing details that don't allow this.

U.S. Copyright Office's ruling, with some boring .PDF supporting documents (click)

"When one jailbreaks a smartphone in order to make the operating system on that phone interoperable with an independently created application that has not been approved by the maker of the smartphone or the maker of its operating system, the modifications that are made purely for the purpose of such interoperability are fair uses."

Steve Jobs probably death-gripped his iPhone, started to call his lawyers...oh wait...never mind.

Doesn't say that Apple, Motorola, et al aren't allowed to make it difficult for you, only that you are not violating the DMCA if you have the nerve to want to install any damn thing you want on your own damn phone.

Also doesn't say you can load a different/modified OS, only mentions modifying the existing OS in order to run non-Apple approved programs. Well, it does, but only to "...connect to a wireless telecommunications network...", which isn't prevented by the "factory" OS.

And in other "the glass was half-full, but now it's half-empty" news, the ruling explicitly says "smartphones", so fanboys and gurls are still not "allowed" to install unapproved software on their iPad or Ipod Touch (or whatever the iPhone minus the phone part is called)

Screw it. Jailbreak your iPhone, root your Droid. It's yours. Do with it as you please. This still is Amerika, a wholly-owned subsidiary of China, isn't it?