Sv650 gearing

wheet

need some opinions cant ride till i get chain and sprokets lol that is an easy one. I have a 08 SV650 i know it sounds crazy but thinking of going up one tooth in the front run lower rpm on free way, and i can get more out of high rpm in turns. I know the bike isnt made for high rpm, but unfortunatly all my years of motocross i dont feel right turning unless i am at least 6 grand even if its in first lol. i have known mx all my life only been street 2 years GOOD IDEA OR NO????

My opinion, it depends on which you need it for the most, and where it's actually making it's power. If you ride the twisties more the the freeway, and the change get's your rpm's to where the bike works better, go for it. What makes the bike work better is not necessarily what sounds better to you. If you need the rpm drop on the freeway, and that's where you ride more, then go for it.

I guess I'm saying that if you're doing it for in the twisties, and that's not what the bike needs, you'd be wasting your time.

If your front sprocket is a 16 and you're going to a 17... I'm pretty sure you won't like it. Power will be less usable on a 650 through most of the power band. I think it's just too much. On the other hand, front sprockets are cheap, and I had several (0,+1,-1,-2) on my first bike and switched them around a lot. I kinda liked -1 for around town.

I have an opinion about front sprockets, they should be STEEL, never aluminum. I have two 919 and one is geared 17 instead of the stock 16. It's a lot smoother and not much noticable difference on the freeway. (I think it vibrates less.) But not near as fast around town. But that's 110 hp pulling it, and it can still get up and go, if I rev it higher to launch.

I run a 15/47 combo and really like it. I used to have a 14/48 and and that was just stupid for touring and twisties. Came on the bike when I bought it. So I changed it as soon as they wore out. I still have the sprockets and would be alright giving them to you to try out if you would like. Option is there for the taking. I'm not going to be home for this next week so it will have to wait till after the 25th it you want to try it.

Stock is a 15 tooth front. Going to a 16, is fine for if you are touring and looking to increase gas mileage. But you will loose any take off that bike has. I tired it on my breathed on first gen and it wasn't fun. Okay for highway...but commutting it stunk. You'll slip the clutch more on take off and it will bog once the clutch it fully disengaged until motor gets building torque.

If you want less, try a 15/44 (stock SV-S) sprocket combo or try a 43 or 42 for the rear. You'll still have some issues with the 42, but it's still better than a 16 on the front.

I ran 15/46 as it was perfect for Mid-O, twisties and general commuting. 75 on the hgihway was 5500 RPM. 15/47 didn't do it for me for twisties. As you know, to get to them from Cleveland, you had to hit some highway. Too buzzy. But those were good for Beaverun.