I-270N(West Side) 8/16 Green/White Jordan Logo Sport Bike

SirAlienJ

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh the usual. No helmet(He had sunglasses on though), lane changes into spaces barely a car length long, going from the third lane to the first, to the second and back to the third. I lost track of him after that. I had no desire to try to catch him. Plus, I had to keep slowing down when the cars and trucks he was doing this in front of kept stabbing their brakes due to surprise.

He wasn't doing 90 or anything. Just exercising some really poor judgment and forgetting the golden rule of motorcycle: The people in cars are trying to kill you.

Of course, when the guy riding the Harley is wearing more gear than you your decision making process might be a little flawed to begin with.

...Of course, when the guy riding the Harley is wearing more gear than you your decision making process might be a little flawed to begin with.

I think I like the new guy...:D

On a related note: coming home from the Mopar Nationals Saturday in the pouring rain (in the truck), I counted at least 8 guys on sportbikes with no gear whatsoever, except for a pair of sunglasses.

Try sticking your head out the car window at 55, with sunglasses, and see how well you can see (even without rain the tears will be forming).

Idiots. :nono:

Did see one GoldWing, both rider and passenger had rainsuits on, and the espresso machine had a cover on it, too...

Oh the usual. No helmet(He had sunglasses on though), lane changes into spaces barely a car length long, going from the third lane to the first, to the second and back to the third. I lost track of him after that. I had no desire to try to catch him. Plus, I had to keep slowing down when the cars and trucks he was doing this in front of kept stabbing their brakes due to surprise.

He wasn't doing 90 or anything. Just exercising some really poor judgment and forgetting the golden rule of motorcycle: The people in cars are trying to kill you.

Of course, when the guy riding the Harley is wearing more gear than you your decision making process might be a little flawed to begin with.

Sure he was the typical squid that gives us sportbike guys a bad name, but if there is a length of a car between cars, that's enough room for a 53" wheel based bike to fit...

Sounds like it was your opinion that it was too tight and too close. We get that a lot at the track when people come in and state they had people passing too closely. Remember, to you, it may have felt like they were laying on top of you, but in essence, it was more like 6 foot of room...

I'd say he was under dressed, but as proof from the drivers stabbing brakes - usually they are the issue and from your story, they were too close and they were not paying attention and maybe made it look worse than it was...

Sure he was the typical squid that gives us sportbike guys a bad name, but if there is a length of a car between cars, that's enough room for a 53" wheel based bike to fit...

Sounds like it was your opinion that it was too tight and too close. We get that a lot at the track when people come in and state they had people passing too closely. Remember, to you, it may have felt like they were laying on top of you, but in essence, it was more like 6 foot of room...

I'd say he was under dressed, but as proof from the drivers stabbing brakes - usually they are the issue and from your story, they were too close and they were not paying attention and maybe made it look worse than it was...

Wrong. And you can't argue this.

A car's length is NOT enough room for a motorcycle safely on the freeway. Period. For a lane change, you should have two bike lengths in front of you and two bike lengths behind you. 270 is NOT a track.

but as proof from the drivers stabbing brakes - usually they are the issue and from your story, they were too close and they were not paying attention and maybe made it look worse than it was...

People always follow to closely on 270 and are rarely paying attention. So, why make it worse?

And, as Casper said, it's not the track. Passes like he made would be awesome if made them on other bikes at a race track. But the last time I checked there isn't some disclaimer at the bottom of my visor in the mornings which reads: Professional Rider on a Closed Track.

But the last time I checked there isn't some disclaimer at the bottom of my visor in the mornings which reads: Professional Rider on a Closed Track.

This -----^ is a great idea. Make stickers and slap them on vehicles mirrors as you split them at 120mph.

I might also add another line to ask them WTF they're doing on my personal closed course (I270).

:nono: It doesn't matter if the cars were right or wrong, or if there was enough room or not. Cager's are not prepared for bikes (or even other cages) to be passing that closely, therefore, it's dangerous to do so. Like it or not, that's how it works. The evidence is in the fact that they were hitting the brakes, which panic's the drivers behind them, and could make it a very bad situation, very quickly.

I saw a group last week on I-70 a group of about four bikes no helmets one had a passenger with no helmet either. Makes you wonder what their thinking either look cool on the bike or dead on the road. People need to realize that's why I just finished buying my safety gear.

Wrong. And you can't argue this.

A car's length is NOT enough room for a motorcycle safely on the freeway. Period. For a lane change, you should have two bike lengths in front of you and two bike lengths behind you. 270 is NOT a track.

So, you are saying that you leave at minimal, a car's length in front and behind you when changing lanes between cars when you are driving? You also are saying that you leave over 5 feet in front and behind you on your bike?

I dont bother with lane changes. I just split down the middle of them

Man, we rode in CA a few times and the lane splitting takes some getting used to, but guys like Casper would shit their pants if they did so... It was TIGHT!

And that wasn't a track!

So, you are saying that you leave at minimal, a car's length in front and behind you when changing lanes between cars when you are driving? You also are saying that you leave over 5 feet in front and behind you on your bike?

Is that sarcasm? Ummmm, yes?

:nono: It doesn't matter if the cars were right or wrong, or if there was enough room or not. Cager's are not prepared for bikes (or even other cages) to be passing that closely, therefore, it's dangerous to do so. Like it or not, that's how it works. The evidence is in the fact that they were hitting the brakes, which panic's the drivers behind them, and could make it a very bad situation, very quickly.

Cagers hit their brakes when a full semi behind other cars. The OP could have easily been unable to judge correctly... I mean, there are ALWAYS two sides to every story.

Is that sarcasm? Ummmm, yes?
Nope. A legit question...

Wow. You're an idiot. :nono:

Wow. :nono:

So... Do you? Reason I ask is that I know you don't. Anyone on here that says they do every damn time is lying.

All I am saying is that you sit here and preach about this type of thing and yet, how many threads are there where guys are talking about making laps around 270? Running flat out speeds out on the road?

If you are an advocate for safety, what's the change?

No question about it. Five feet is nothing. My desk is five feet wide and hell yes I want far more room than that.

I'm with you! If someone locks up their brakes in front, you're going to end up a motorcycle sandwich. (gives new meaning to that "make me a sandwich" stuff you read on here).