Steering Head Bearings?

bigd

So, curious about a couple things....I think I've got a bad steering head bearing and I want to double check - but don't have a front stand that allows the forks to be unloaded, is there any way to check this with a standard front fork stand / or with the bike on the ground? (The only way I know to check is to unload the front wheel/forks and see if there's forward/back play)

Secondly, does anyone have any experience with replacing these bearings? Is this too much to do in home?

Thanks for the expertise.

Sounds like a similar issue I went thru on my 01 F4i. Easy fix.... take your clip-ons off, then take the ignition switch and top tripple tree clamp off. Underneath the top clamp,(once removed) you will see two thin, oddly shapped nuts that secure the head bearings and steering stem in place. Its common for them to work themself loose over time. Its happened to me twice in the 8 years I've ownd mine. So basically, the nut on top is the lock nut. There is a shim with some locking tabs between the two nuts. Take the top nut off and the locking shim. Tighten the bottom stem nut with a large pair of channel lock pliers. Then put the locking shim and top nut back on and tighten. You will see how the locking shim works once you have it apart. then put the top clamp and clip-ons back on and you are ready to rock n' roll.

Some things you might be noticing that makes you feel like a lose head bearing are, the front end feels like its falling off when you hit a bump, or when you get on the brakes hard enough, you feel the front pivot forward a litte bit. I almost bet you just need to tighten the nuts. The head bearing should be ok unless you have been riding around on it like this for a while, then its probably worn out.

Edited by xtremef4i