towing: bumper hitch?

natedogg624

so i saw that my truck has an option of a bumper hitch, looked up the specs and max tongue weight is 150lbs and max trailer weight is 1500lbs. the chain hooks look ok, just some surface rust/oxidation that is prevalent on the entire underside of the truck (ok'd by multiple mechanics)

would you do it (assume i fall within the weight req't of the hitch)? yes i know an external hitch is only 100-150 more i'm just curious. i've seen many discussions that are pretty much split 50/50 on whether it would be safe or not.

just a motorcycle trailer w/bike.

if the height doesn't match up, i know there are drop down hitches, but since a bumper hitch doesn't really have that option, are there trailer tongues that can be lifted up/down (the opposite of the drop down hitch)

yea i know, my uncle has some ins with hitches and what not, i was just tossing the idea around.

nick (or anyone else for that matter), what do you know about the pitbull trailer restraints? i've seen they can be mounted in truck beds forward of the rear wheel, but what comes in the package as far as mounting? is there just that one single large top mount plate that goes on top (pitbull gold plated color)? i think i'd need a second one for the underside of the truckbed for a secure restraint.

yea i know, my uncle has some ins with hitches and what not, i was just tossing the idea around.

nick (or anyone else for that matter), what do you know about the pitbull trailer restraints? i've seen they can be mounted in truck beds forward of the rear wheel, but what comes in the package as far as mounting? is there just that one single large top mount plate that goes on top (pitbull gold plated color)? i think i'd need a second one for the underside of the truckbed for a secure restraint.

They are awesome, however as far as mounting in the bed of a truck I have not seen done. There is only the top plate, the bottom has washers and nuts connecting to the bolts that connect the top portion. I have one in my trailer and love it.

They are awesome, however as far as mounting in the bed of a truck I have not seen done. There is only the top plate, the bottom has washers and nuts connecting to the bolts that connect the top portion. I have one in my trailer and love it.

ok that must have been what the pitbull rep was talking about when i mentioned the idea to him. he suggested something about a second mounting plate of equal or better quality to the top mount plate and use it on the underside since the bed of a truck isn't flat.

im thinking about picking one of these up plus a chock instead of a trailer/hitch set plus they are universal whereas a hitch isn't. did you ever worry at first about it falling over or was it pretty trustworthy right away?

ok that must have been what the pitbull rep was talking about when i mentioned the idea to him. he suggested something about a second mounting plate of equal or better quality to the top mount plate and use it on the underside since the bed of a truck isn't flat.

im thinking about picking one of these up plus a chock instead of a trailer/hitch set plus they are universal whereas a hitch isn't. did you ever worry at first about it falling over or was it pretty trustworthy right away?

It is trustworthy, never had a concern. As far as being universal, the main part is, however the pins are bike model specific and are approximately $80. That is why I only installed one in my trailer and left a chock on the other side of the trailer for a second bike. I was not going to buy different pins for each bike of my friends that I tow. Also another thing to keep in mind with your truck is that you are going to have to run with the tailgate down if you try and mount this in the bed, which means you are going to have to get on of those ready ramps that goes around the back of the tire to where you can keep the tailgate down and still have all your other gear loaded up.

Honestly if i was going to make the decision I would still go with the hitch and trailer vs. trying to do the pitbull trailer restraint, chock, and ready ramp in the back of the truck. If you want to use the back of the truck just still to running it at an angle and strapping it down with either a canyon dancers or soft ties with straps.

It is trustworthy, never had a concern. As far as being universal, the main part is, however the pins are bike model specific and are approximately $80. That is why I only installed one in my trailer and left a chock on the other side of the trailer for a second bike. I was not going to buy different pins for each bike of my friends that I tow. Also another thing to keep in mind with your truck is that you are going to have to run with the tailgate down if you try and mount this in the bed, which means you are going to have to get on of those ready ramps that goes around the back of the tire to where you can keep the tailgate down and still have all your other gear loaded up.

Honestly if i was going to make the decision I would still go with the hitch and trailer vs. trying to do the pitbull trailer restraint, chock, and ready ramp in the back of the truck. If you want to use the back of the truck just still to running it at an angle and strapping it down with either a canyon dancers or soft ties with straps.

by universal i meant when i sell the truck, get a new truck/trailer.

i already have a decent truck bed setup. i've taken it to and from mid oh and to and from home and cbus, handles fine and doesn't bog at all. i have a tailgate extender/ramps etc to make it work and keep my stuff contained. the only thing i don't like but can handle is loading it up into the bed, just annoying since i'm not that big and have to manhandle it more. the benefit of the chock/pitbull restraint is to free up the corners of the bed where the tiedowns get in the way.

i do need to figure out where a generator would go when i go to a track w/o plugs. its on the list of items to buy to add to the track setup.

by universal i meant when i sell the truck, get a new truck/trailer.

i already have a decent truck bed setup. i've taken it to and from mid oh and to and from home and cbus, handles fine and doesn't bog at all. i have a tailgate extender/ramps etc to make it work and keep my stuff contained. the only thing i don't like but can handle is loading it up into the bed, just annoying since i'm not that big and have to manhandle it more. the benefit of the chock/pitbull restraint is to free up the corners of the bed where the tiedowns get in the way.

i do need to figure out where a generator would go when i go to a track w/o plugs. its on the list of items to buy to add to the track setup.

If you get a trailer then you would be able to have room for all that stuff. Plus most trucks, except mid-size like S-10's, will have hitches so you can use the trailer with your next truck. Trust me, once you get a trailer you will be glad you did.

If you are going with the trailer restraint you can forget about the wheel chock because it won't be needed at all. I would probably put another plate on the underside of the truck bed, it might be a bit overkill but worth the extra piece of mind. I buy the extra pins for buddy’s bikes I'm going to haul because for me it’s worth not having their bikes fall into my bike or into the trailer, the $80 is cheap if you compare it to a deductable for cracked up plastics from a trailer accident.