I'll be glad when fair-weather riding season is over

SpeedTriple44444

Warning: rant to follow...

If you can't negotiate a turn on your Harley, get the fuck off the road and stay in the bar where you belong. I saw 3 guys over the centerline today... every one of them on cruisers (one waving at me, wtf?). One came at me head-on in my lane on a hard turn... missed by inches. Seriously... some people need to learn their limitations before they take someone out. I ride hard and fast, but I know my limits and stay on my side of the road. The bikes today were worse than the cars! I did have one asshat in a little convertible taking a turn in my lane. He got it over and then had the nerve to flip me the bird. Needless to say, it was an interesting ride today.

On Friday in Hocking there was a good traffic jam all caused by a guy on a cruiser who couldn't ride.

Then I got stuck behind this old pick-up with a guy in it who looked like the 'Deliverance' kid only scarier. They turned into a driveway and the guy heaves his whole scrawny body out the window and retardedly wings a beer can at me as I go by. The thing only goes like five feet so they'll run over it when they leave. All this just as I was admiring all the beautiful real estate with particle-board homes and no utilities.

Apparently that's how they've been taught to make turns. Over the line in the other lane use the whole road turns. No wait... maybe... they haven't been taught anything at all...

edit: It is confusing. I have nothing against cruisers. And have seen friends who know what they are doing, just literally slam turns on cruisers to the limits of the metal parts that stop them from leaning farther. So it can be done, it just isn't being done by a large percentage of amateurs out on the road.

Edited by ReconRat

haha, i seen a bunch of newbs when i was out riding today, too

2 guys on brand new harleys, matching vests, pull up to a stop sign. Both stall out the engine by dumping the clutch too hard :facepalm: so i just went around while they were restarting.

Apparently that's how they've been taught to make turns. Over the line in the other lane use the whole road turns. No wait... maybe... they haven't been taught anything at all...

edit: It is confusing. I have nothing against cruisers. And have seen friends who know what they are doing, just literally slam turns on cruisers to the limits of the metal parts that stop them from leaning farther. So it can be done, it just isn't being done by a large percentage of amateurs out on the road.

That's the point I was making about it being fair weather riding season. More like open season for the Darwin award recipients. Just don't take me with you!

I have friends that ride cruisers and can ride them well. No problem with those guys at all. I also have no problem with the putt-putters out there going 5 under. I just pass them. It's when you're leaned over hard in a 30mph turn and have to stand the bike up to allow one of these morons to use most of your lane... tends to piss me off a little.

Wow, where you riding today?

I was on route 43 just north of Amsterdam, OH when the guy on the Hardley almost took me out. Further down on 43 toward Amsterdam when numbnuts waived at me from the centerline. The other was on route 9. The convertible was somewhere between route 30 and route 172 on township hwy 713.

Most of the crappy moves I've seen have been made by guys on cruisers. But at the same time, for whatever reason, I see more cruisers than anything else in my area, by far.

I have a feeling that because cruisers are just more comfortable, that's what casual riders want. So you end up with crappier riders.

That said, I ride a cruiser, and have scratches all over my floorboards and highway bars - I'm not sure what this silliness about leaning is all about.

saw a tool on a gsxr riding through town talking on a cell phone.

we got stopped at the same red light, and at least during the red light, I guarantee he couldn't continue his conversation over the volume of my exhaust, and stereo.

we got stopped at the same red light, and at least during the red light, I guarantee he couldn't continue his conversation over the volume of my exhaust, and stereo.

Ha!

I tried to answer a call today on my way to work (my headphones are bluetooth, and also function as a headset for my iPhone - answering the phone is just a touch to my ear) when my ex-wife called me. She couldn't hear a thing (I could hear her just fine).

It's too hard to have a cell conversation on a motorcycle. You should just text message instead.

I was on route 43 just north of Amsterdam, OH when the guy on the Hardley almost took me out. Further down on 43 toward Amsterdam when numbnuts waived at me from the centerline. The other was on route 9. The convertible was somewhere between route 30 and route 172 on township hwy 713.

Huh, right on. I don't know if a Bonneville is considered a cruiser but it's deffinatly not a sport bike and I don't try to ride it like one. I'm a big fan of riding within your limits. These assholes just sound stupid. I think I went over the line in a turn once or twice when I was first learning to ride. After that I backed off and prcticed until I gradually expanded my limits to a level of riding that I'm comfortable and safe with. To each their own with riding styles and bikes but you need to know what the hell you're doing no matter what you ride. +1 to you sir for your anger :D

I don't have any problem with whatever anyone wants to ride. Heck, I was on my V-strom, not the Triumph, which is not exactly a sport bike. I know what it is capable of, and I push it to 80% of it's limit when I ride it, leaving some for situations like what I'm talking about here. I got the pegs down a couple times on that ride, but it was in an open empty stretch of road. That said, I didn't see a single sport or touring bike cross the double yellow, and I rarely do (except for that occassional squid that is on borrowed time). When the weather is so nice, the Harleys all come out to play, and these guys just plain can't ride.

We all have blown a corner learning to ride, but the roads were pretty busy this weekend... not the time for a newb to be out riding past his limits.

I should have stayed with 164 for my fun riding. It was pretty empty. 9 and 43 down that way are starting to become way too busy... at least until the weather gets worse. My grandparents live on 43, so I often go down there. The near miss was about 1/4-1/2 mile from their house.

Definitely the other "type" tool that can't ride or just doesn't care. I think we ought to take them all out to 555 for a race, and let nature run it's course.

I have a cruizerish bike and I feel that if I cross the double yellow that it pretty much amounts up to a crash.

I think a lot of these guys have no idea how far they can lean those heavy bikes over and get afraid long before they get to the point where they are scraping hard parts.

I have a cruizerish bike and I feel that if I cross the double yellow that it pretty much amounts up to a crash.

I think a lot of these guys have no idea how far they can lean those heavy bikes over and get afraid long before they get to the point where they are scraping hard parts.

This guy coming at me wasn't even trying. He was straight up and down, rear end dead center of the seat. Anyone that has a clue would have been hanging off and making the turn.

This guy coming at me wasn't even trying. He was straight up and down, rear end dead center of the seat. Anyone that has a clue would have been hanging off and making the turn.

Heck if he would have just counter steered he would have gotten enough lean angle to get around the curve.

I always try to not let others lack skill & intelligence piss me off. I've got to say that I have probably seen more sportbike riders pushing the envelope than cruisers but then again I see predominantly cruisers parked at the roadside taverns so it's probably a wash on which group is the most endangering.