'03 XT 225 or '98 YZ250

idodishez

Help me decide:)

$1000 for the XT, or $1300 for the YZ

Im not familiar w the differences between the two. All I know is I like the looks of the YZ a LOT better. (I do know one's a two stroke, and ones a 4 stroke) Being able to title and drive the XT (lights, blinkers, etc) is an added bonus. But not a huge deal. So main question is.... is the YZ a lot more of an agressive bike for dirt, as it looks? Or am I just biased? Is the XT suitable for heavy dirt riding, jumping, etfc? IT just looks linda nerdy to me. Is that becasue its not really as agressive of a dirt bike?

Edited by idodishez

The XT is a small trail bike that's street legal. Airhead, pokey, slow little 4-stroke. Pros: It'll take massive abuse, little maintenance, and will lug you around through anything. Cons: Underpowered, undersprung, you won't be jumping it.

The YZ is a motorcross bike. It's made for flogging around a track, jumps, aggressive riding. IT's also a 2-stroke so if you plan on streeting it, that's somewhat of a PITA. It's also got a narrow tranny. Pros: It's a machine in the woods or on the dirt. Cons: It's a race bike, you'll be doing more to it...but it's a reliable weapon and should last a long time, easy and cheap to rebuild.

Depends on what you're doing. Street & some light trails? XT. Woods & jumps? YZ.

Well jumping is something I definately want to do, so it looks like the YZ fits the bill better.

Never heard the term airhead used to describe a bike. Huh?:)

Im hoping the "you'll be doing more to it" comments doesnt translate to "you'll be working on it everytime you want to ride" like it does for the two cheap Chinese brand (Kazuma) quads I have. So sick of having to constantly having to fix something, just to ride.

"Retarded fast" Isn't that an oxymoron:D

Thanks for the input guys, exactly what I was looking for.

A YZ isn't a maintenance hog, quite the opposite but it's a dirt bike and a 2-stroke at that. Every couple years you'll re-do the top end more than like, bearings, linkage, chains, etc. They demand more than a street bike, cause they're wound out and you're banging them around on shit. You won't be fixing it every time you ride or constantly doing stuff to it, but it'll need more work than a street bike.

They're stupid easy to work on tho, so that's a plus.

Plus a 2 stroke normally starts 1st or 2nd kick everytime if its tuned right. And if you dump the bike in the trails, it will fire right back up very easily unlike some of the 250 and 450 4 strokes. I had an 04 yz125 and that thing was bullet proof. had it for only two years and never had to rebuild the top end or do any other maintence. just adjust ant lube the chain and use quality 2-smoke oil. I reccomend a clean burning synthetic such as golden spectro.

Plus a 2 stroke normally starts 1st or 2nd kick everytime if its tuned right. And if you dump the bike in the trails, it will fire right back up very easily unlike some of the 250 and 450 4 strokes. I had an 04 yz125 and that thing was bullet proof. had it for only two years and never had to rebuild the top end or do any other maintence. just adjust ant lube the chain and use quality 2-smoke oil. I reccomend a clean burning synthetic such as golden spectro.

;-P

My 4 stroke xt225 starts up just fine (because it's tuned right) on the trail when I dump it. I can kick it or e-start it. It's nice to have both.

Just something to think about.

-b

I did'nt mention it but when I said 4-strokes are a pain to strat after dumping, I was speaking from experience from my XR400. not a fun bike to start after a fall

:-) Your experience shows that some 4-stroke bikes (XR400) are hard to start after a fall. My experience shows that some 4-stroke bikes (XT225, plus a previous DRZ350SE) are easy to start after a fall. :-) Sounds like one just has to tune the bike right (as you already said.)

It really is all about purpose. For leisure trail riding, the xt225 will do great. It wasn't created to rocket down trails and over jumps, but it gets me out on and over/thru trails and mud and I have fun doing it. I'm not a jumper, it doesn't require a lot of maintenance, and it has a ok amount of power for smaller riders (i'm 155) when geared for dirt riding.

OK, got the YZ last night. Definately glad I went w the YZ over the XT.

I do have a question regarding the 2 strokes though, verses the 4 strokes.

Only 2 stroke I ever owned was a moped, 25 years ago.

So when riding the 225, the throttle response just doesn't seem to be there. It is definately powerful, and like ,my ZX10 will pop wheelies without even trying. But it runs like it has what I would consider carb issues. Just doesnt seem to fully "open up", boggs, etc. It did that to me when I test drove it last night, and the seller said that's part of the inherit nature of 2 strokes, and that they are really cold blooded. That once I get it out and really get on it in the trails etc it will open up and be fine. Now I havent had a chance to do that yet, but I did take it up and down my street a couple times. Never really ever felt like it was fully warmed up or that it wasnt hesitating. Just curious if the guy was feeding me some lines, or if I just haven't been patient enough yet.

Assuming it does need carb work, I'm hoping it's just a matter of going through the carb with some carb dip and maybe a rebuild kit?