Germany For Work

tyler524

So it sounds like I may be getting sent to Germany for atleast 6-8 weeks for work to help redesign one of our major product lines. Kind of nervous and excited at the same time but I've never been on a plane before and that is a bit of time to be a way from home. It is a hell of a career opportunity for me. So for those who travel for work and those that have been to Germany, any advice? I am gonna have to leave the house to my gf while gone. Hopefully I will be home by Christmas.

Being gone that long will be tough. I would imagine they would allow you to come home every 2-4 weeks or allow you to bring your SO over there.

Suggestions

Learn a few key German phrases. (Dont be the American that doesnt try to learn their language)

See as many sites as possible.

Get a rail pass so you can travel on the weekends to other countries. (Stay in cheap hostels when you do travel.

Stay open minded and try as many foods as possible and go to as many other countries as you can while your there.

Enjoy the hell out of it. The only hard part will be being away from your SO. Everything else, you will love.

Oh yeah if youve never been on a plane before, thats a fairly long flight so it may be smart to get some meds from your doc just in case you dont like flying.

I am not worried about sickness,I have never had an issue before with it on boasts, coasters. Or anything like that. My girlfriend will have to stay, one for work, and also to take care of the dogs. The guys that work in Germany speak better English than most people here.

I fly every now and then for work, but never that far. I had a little bit of a fear of flying before I started doing it often, but it's always ok so far... even fun. I always have a couple drinks before I get on a plane... helps me to relax. If they're not sending you first class and you're tall, try to get an exit seat. There's nothing like riding for hours on end with your knees buried in the seat in front of you.

My cousin is just getting back from Germany after being over there for a few years. He and his family loved it over there, for what that is worth. It's a great opportunity for you... enjoy it!

I'd add more to my first post, but everyone else pretty much said everything

*Enjoy it

*Experience it

*Great Opportunity

I'm employed by a German company, so we get a lot of them that come here and a lot of our employees go there. I've never been, but everyone I talk to loves it. A guy just recently got back from a multi-year stint there with his family -- he missed certain things in the US, but he also misses certain things from Deutschland. 6-8 weeks should give you enough time to figure out most of the pros/con of European life vs. US life.

nurburgring. and document your visit well (find out if the ring taxi is still operating), so that i may live vicariously through you.

Looks like it is 195 euro for a lap around Nürburgring but it can take 3 passengers at once so the cost can be split.

On a side note, it is going to suck to have to go a couple months without sex. That and I hope I get some extra pay or something for this trip.

Where in Germany? Hamburg i hear is awesome. If youre leaving sometime in sept youll be getting there just in time for Okterberfest beginning in late sept.

Skype is awesome to keep in touch with the gf. Just make sure you keep your batteries charged.

My wife's uncle has a thing about pooping in air plane bathrooms so he had to hold his poo all the way from German to California last year.

That's about all I've got.

Oh, and Euro shot night at the bars.

I haven't stopped laughing yet. Brilliant!:bow:

who do you work for?

definitely learn to spraken some Deutsch

try strapping your cellphone to different bottles of medication and see which ones tip off the airport security

I work for Dürr Ecoclean which is a division of Dürr Global which is a huge company.

http://www.intermot-koeln.com/

Intermot Cologne 2010 (Koln)

October 6-10

An hour and a half to get there.

Nürburgring, Nuerburg, Germany is an hour and a half to the East.

You won't see the Superbike races there. They start Friday Sep3, oops.

Learn to say this. I said this a lot...

"Ich bin amerikanisch. Mein Deutsch ist nicht gut."

But I could say it like a German, so they would always help me out.

(Well... at least they didn't laugh at me....)

Edited by ReconRat

Being gone that long will be tough. I would imagine they would allow you to come home every 2-4 weeks or allow you to bring your SO over there.

Suggestions

Learn a few key German phrases. (Dont be the American that doesnt try to learn their language)

See as many sites as possible.

Get a rail pass so you can travel on the weekends to other countries. (Stay in cheap hostels when you do travel.

Stay open minded and try as many foods as possible and go to as many other countries as you can while your there.

Enjoy the hell out of it. The only hard part will be being away from your SO. Everything else, you will love.

Oh yeah if youve never been on a plane before, thats a fairly long flight so it may be smart to get some meds from your doc just in case you dont like flying.

What he said! Have fun and enjoy it! Where in Germany?