Fish Finder / Tree climbing gear

20thGix

how hard is it to figure out the tree climbing gear?

my old man's got a pretty big tree that needs to come down, and I refuse to let him pay several hundred dollars to have it done professionally. He didn't have 3 sons and tolerate use for between 22 and 27 years to pay for yard work in his mid 50's :p

I had suggested that we rent a scissor lift to make the job easier, but I have enough rock climbing experience (and equipment) that this looks like it might offer a cheaper alternative...

thoughts?

Gravy to do. Its the lack of experience with the chainsaw in a tree that will get you killed, or mangled. Not to mention just making the wrong cuts will get you seriously fucked up. Watch some tree trimming accidents on youtube. If you can handle that kind of stuff I say go for it. Skip the scissor lift and rent a bucket truck. You don't want to be under what your cutting.

But I'm sure if you asked he would give you a crash course in climbing and trimming.

how hard is it to figure out the tree climbing gear?

my old man's got a pretty big tree that needs to come down, and I refuse to let him pay several hundred dollars to have it done professionally. He didn't have 3 sons and tolerate use for between 22 and 27 years to pay for yard work in his mid 50's :p

I had suggested that we rent a scissor lift to make the job easier, but I have enough rock climbing experience (and equipment) that this looks like it might offer a cheaper alternative...

thoughts?

With your rock climbing experience you should be able to climb that tree no problem. The problems happen during the trimming part. Ive seen plenty of accidents in my days of being a tree trimmer.

1. Carried a guy out of the woods after jamming a 3" gaff from the tree spikes into his calf.

2. Carried younger bro. out of the woods then to hospital with a chainsaw cut thru 4 toes.

3. Seen a guy cut a limb that his buck strap was around that split back to the trunk. Sucking him onto the limb. Guy said it felt like his guts were going to come out his bung hole from the pressure around his waist. Just about passed out before someone climbed up and cut him out.

4. Pruner pole fell while climbing up a tree and hook stuck in the forearm. =me

The list goes on. The easiest way to trim a tree if your able is one cut from the ground. But that has its own dangers in itself. Several hundred bucks for a "big" tree by a insured experienced tree company isnt to bad.