Paying For Reimbursable Work Expenses

tyler524

So as I posted in another thread, I am going to be heading to Germany for at least 6-8 weeks. How do some of you guys cover your expenses until you get your reimbursement checks? I only ask because I will more than likely have a hell of a lot of expenses to cover while I am over there. I am hoping that they pay for my flight up front. The flight and hotel is really my biggest worry. It looks like I am looking at probably at least 3,000 euros for hotel plus flight and vehicle rental. I want to be able to have at least a decent time while I am over there but I don't exactly have a huge pad of money sitting in the bank at this moment. Also, those that have had to travel for a extended amount of time, do you get paid any extra or just your normal wage? I guess I will find out more information tomorrow but I am trying to prepare myself for how I will cover my expenses before I get reimbursed. I do plan on turning in my forms every week.

Be real careful of your cell phone minutes.

Many companies consider Europe to be "roaming" say hello to a $1000+ bill next month.

Get a cheap phone over there and save a ton of $$

Watch out for ATM "Currency conversion" fees too.

Visa and MC will get you on those as well.

Worth a call to cust serv to find out about all the nice hidden fees.

Edited by Strictly Street

So as I posted in another thread, I am going to be heading to Germany for at least 6-8 weeks. How do some of you guys cover your expenses until you get your reimbursement checks? I only ask because I will more than likely have a hell of a lot of expenses to cover while I am over there. I am hoping that they pay for my flight up front. The flight and hotel is really my biggest worry. It looks like I am looking at probably at least 3,000 euros for hotel plus flight and vehicle rental. I want to be able to have at least a decent time while I am over there but I don't exactly have a huge pad of money sitting in the bank at this moment. Also, those that have had to travel for a extended amount of time, do you get paid any extra or just your normal wage? I guess I will find out more information tomorrow but I am trying to prepare myself for how I will cover my expenses before I get reimbursed. I do plan on turning in my forms every week.

The only pointers I can provide is what you may be able to do while you're there. I don't know exactly where you'll be and what you'll be doing but these are a few very good sites that can save you money.

http://www.venere.com/hotels/germany/?ref=33534

http://www.seat61.com/

http://www.laterooms.com/

You can also hit up couchsurfing.com, I've found it to be a resourceful site in finding out what's good and cheap and what areas are decent. And I've met some really nice people that pointed me in the right direction.

I've never had to deal with a bill that high, but my company would never expect me to front that much...

I've fronted maybe $1200, but it never 'floats' for more than a month, so i just put it on my card, and pay the balance as soon as my reimbursement check comes.

what's your card limit? mine's something stupid like $12k on one card, and $6k on the other... current balance is $0 on both.

My card is $750 and has a $500 balance. I might apply for a new card to have for these situations.

You really need to talk to your company about it before trying to foot the bill on your own or get another card. They may even have a card to give you while your there.

Either a company credit card like mentioned, or a cash advance per trip or per month for your travels. Settle when you get back. I remember big bucks in cash being advanced for engineers that were traveling. Reimbursement can probably be submitted on line now? Mine can, except that scanning the receipts would be a pain. A good chunk of it should actually be per diem payable in advance. I would save reciepts for almost everything.

Don't forget to try and let your credit card know you are going to be there. Some of them have bad habits about goofing up and shutting it off.