Cant decide....

Monstrosity

I really want a sumo & a dirt bike. I thought about buying a DRZ400SM and buying dirt wheels and making it a transformer. However most people I know that ride have for the most part talked me out of that. Sooo.... As for dirt goes the next dilema is what to get? I'm 6'1 185-200lbs. I'm looking for something to ride in fields and trails mainly. Will not be racing or riding super aggressive. I'd like something fairly low on maintenance. What would you recommend?

I've been told go with KTM but that will probably limit me to just one bike. On top of that for my size I was told to go with a 250 2 stroke with a flywheel weight on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

go with a dr 650! omg i love it! i have rode it at perry county alittle tough because bike was alittle to big for those kinds of trails but wayne and other places are fun to ride with it. Dad is a 250 pounds and about 5 9 and he fits the bike perfect. going through creeks beds are very nice with the Dr so is open trails. Might have to gear the bike down if you are going to do alot of woods riding but it is super fast for roads

No need to go KTM if you don't want to, they aren't the best choice for everyone. You could find a nice used Kawi KDX-200, they're awesome woods weapons, great for blasting around riding trails, incredibly simple and tough, and still a ton of aftermarket and parts support for them. I've seen VERY clean examples for $1400 or less.

It'll go everywhere a KTM will go, has plenty of good usable power, and will be cheap to own and worth nearly what you paid if you move on from it.

That'd clear up a lot of $$ for a street weapon.

Im selling my 2004 CRF250X Sumo. All you have to do is swap rims and you are ready for dirt or street. Excel supermoto 17 inch rims with Talon hubs, stock dirt rims and tires, EBC 320mm front brake with braided line, stock brake parts, street and dirt gearing, rear hand brake set up if you want to stunt it, vapor trail tech, pro circuit titanuim slip on and carb jetted for pipe, radiator braces, engine ice, custom graphics, supermoto front fender, stock fender, headlight, tail light and turn signals, mirror, titled for street and street legal. The 250X has the wide ratio 5spd tranny that is better for the street than the R model which has the close ratio tranny. Asking $3500 as it sets. The bike alone has over $1500 worth of aftermarket parts to sumo it out right. It would be cheaper to buy this one set up than to buy a dirt bike and then sumo it out with the right stuff. I bought it this past January from another member on the forum to play around on the street and get back into dirt riding but I never touched the dirt.

Edited by xtremef4i

Im selling my 2004 CRF250X Sumo. All you have to do is swap rims and you are ready for dirt or street. Excel supermoto 17 inch rims with Talon hubs, stock dirt rims and tires, EBC 320mm front brake with braided line, stock brake parts, street and dirt gearing, rear hand brake set up if you want to stunt it, vapor trail tech, pro circuit titanuim slip on and carb jetted for pipe, radiator braces, engine ice, custom graphics, supermoto front fender, stock fender, headlight, tail light and turn signals, mirror, titled for street and street legal. The 250X has the wide ratio 5spd tranny that is better for the street than the R model which has the close ratio tranny. Asking $3500 as it sets. The bike alone has over $1500 worth of aftermarket parts to sumo it out right. It would be cheaper to buy this one set up than to buy a dirt bike and then sumo it out with the right stuff. I bought it this past January from another member on the forum to play around on the street and get back into dirt riding but I never touched the dirt.

I'm interested but how's the maintenance?

I'm interested but how's the maintenance?

The only maintence I have done to it in the short time I have owned it is just oil, tranny, brake, coolant fluid services so I cannot tell you for sure. The previous owner checked the valves last year and they were still in spec. I assume that they will probably need checked again before next riding season. I havent had any issues with it. Oh I forgot to mention that the forks were rebuilt this past January.