Baffle troubles

Strictly Street

30 year old Kerker headers need baffles.

End cap is on the side of some road, somewhere.

picture.php?albumid=619&pictureid=12412&thumb=1 picture.php?albumid=473&pictureid=12363&thumb=1 picture.php?albumid=619&pictureid=12413&thumb=1

So I thought about getting a reducer 3 3/4" to 2" and a couple of odd hardware parts and making my own.

But it's turning out to be trickier than I thought finding the odd hardware bits. Somebody out there must have tried this kinda thing before. Any tips you could offer?

Edited by Strictly Street
Update

Cut a circle, drill and tap some tabs, drill a couple holes, you're golden

Sadly I'm missing about half of the tools needed to pull this off.

I have a drill and an idea, but thats about it.

You make it sound pretty easy and I'm sure it is if you have the tools and skills, which I don't. :(

I'd like to quiet it down a bit so my neighbors don't have a pitchfork and torch rally on my behalf. :villagers:

Maybe a muffler shop in C-bus?

If you were up here i'd just invite u over and help u out w/it

Thanks, I do appreciate the thought but we are a few miles apart, sigh...

I'll bet as you said it would take very little time to do if you had the stuff to do it with. Unfortunately I have to work in a parking lot with a gazzilion kids that love to pick up shiny things when I'm not looking. Like my wrenches, pliers and other things they have grabbed when I wasn't looking. It's a cruel world. :cool:

I have faith that better times are near. :)

It looks like there MAY be parts available for it, if you can figure out exactly what you need. Kerker is now part of Supertrapp, and they list all sorts of stuff under there universal stuff, but I'm not sure what woud work for you, and it's not cheap.

http://www.supertrapp.com/find_my/index.asp?Type=Motorcycle

Yea, I hit those sites. My header is 2 or 2 1/4"

All those stop at 1 3/4 or so.

So thats what got me thinking of reducers in the first place.

Then I thought, why not put a bigger reducer at the back of the pipe and attach a baffle to it, sliding the whole assembly inside the pipe like the real one?

Then I tried to find a 3 3/4 reducer on a Labor Day weekend. :lol:

Tomorrow is another day.

Yea, I hit those sites. My header is 2 or 2 1/4"

All those stop at 1 3/4 or so.

So thats what got me thinking of reducers in the first place.

Then I thought, why not put a bigger reducer at the back of the pipe and attach a baffle to it, sliding the whole assembly inside the pipe like the real one?

Then I tried to find a 3 3/4 reducer on a Labor Day weekend. :lol:

Tomorrow is another day.

Ok, I get the picture. You're trying to fit up to the header collector. All of those mufflers are for individual exhaust pipes.

I think Dennis Kirk sells replacement parts for that.

I looked. They sell the Mac header and can 4-1 for 275-300.

The original bike had two mufflers. This is an aftermarket 4-1 exhaust system that needs a new muffler. Those are hard to find and/or figure out what fits.

But Dennis Kirk does have a universal Mac slip on for 4-1. $156

It fits Honda 1975/1976 550F that had the factory 4-1.

It's approx the right size, but no guarantee it will fit.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=25565&store=Main&catId=&productId=p25659&leafCatId=&mmyId=

dk25565.jpg

dk25565b.jpg

So here is how I solved the problem.

First I got help from Wheezle who has a garage and a few tools.

Next we drove all over town trying to find an exhaust reducer so we could build what we originally thought was what we were trying to do.

picture.php?albumid=619&pictureid=12443&thumb=1

Midus, Advance Auto, They all looked at us like a cow looking at a new gate when we walked in. Followed by "Geeze mister, I never seen one of those before" NAPA guy said, "Old kawi exhaust, nope can't help you."

Then we found a place called "Mad Hatters Mufflers" 3390 Sullivant Avenue

Columbus, OH 43204-1871 (614) 279-1111

When we walked in the guy took one look and asked "Do you need a baffle for that?"

We said "Yes."

He said "We don't have one so we will have to make one for you."

We said "ok."

20 minutes later we walked away with a custom built to spec exhaust baffle.

The guy was so helpfull as he flaired and reduced and welded and adjusted the pipe till it was just so.

Fits like a glove as the pics will attest to.

picture.php?albumid=619&pictureid=12437&thumb=1

Sound is awesome. Back pressure is good and the bike runs sooo much better.

Did I mention that it sounds great? :)

Here is the photo shoot of the job.

picture.php?albumid=619&pictureid=12442&thumb=1 picture.php?albumid=619&pictureid=12441&thumb=1 picture.php?albumid=619&pictureid=12440&thumb=1 picture.php?albumid=619&pictureid=12439&thumb=1 picture.php?albumid=619&pictureid=12438&thumb=1 picture.php?albumid=619&pictureid=12437&thumb=1 picture.php?albumid=619&pictureid=12436&thumb=1 picture.php?albumid=619&pictureid=12413&thumb=1

Larger pics are available at http://www.ohio-riders.com/album.php?albumid=619

Oh yea, it cost $20.00 for the awsome handmade baffle, $2 for the steel wool and $2 for the mechanics wire. :)

Edited by Strictly Street

looks good to me . thats what i did on my stock zx10 exhaust but i went to home depot and used furnace line rap , good for up to 1200 degrees and it is already preformed in 1-2-3-4 inch . cut away a little of the inside to adjust to the sound ya want and your good to go :)

Tom,

Good to see you got your scooter quietened back down. Hell the best suggestion I was going to offer was to remind you of my old Kaw 750 with the cherry bomb muffler welded to the pipes. Cheap, ugly, but effective and made for a nice deep thump that I used to LOVE to use to set off car alarms up in Squirrel Hill. Nowadays I just use a bigger 2 cyl. engine for the same results. LOL

So here is how I solved the problem.

First I got help from Wheezle who has a garage and a few tools.

Next we drove all over town trying to find an exhaust reducer so we could build what we originally thought was what we were trying to do.

picture.php?albumid=619&pictureid=12443&thumb=1

Midus, Advance Auto, They all looked at us like a cow looking at a new gate when we walked in. Followed by "Geeze mister, I never seen one of those before" NAPA guy said, "Old kawi exhaust, nope can't help you."

Then we found a place called "Mad Hatters Mufflers" 3390 Sullivant Avenue

Columbus, OH 43204-1871 (614) 279-1111

When we walked in the guy took one look and asked "Do you need a baffle for that?"

We said "Yes."

He said "We don't have one so we will have to make one for you."

We said "ok."

20 minutes later we walked away with a custom built to spec exhaust baffle.

The guy was so helpfull as he flaired and reduced and welded and adjusted the pipe till it was just so.

Fits like a glove as the pics will attest to.

picture.php?albumid=619&pictureid=12437&thumb=1

Sound is awesome. Back pressure is good and the bike runs sooo much better.

Did I mention that it sounds great? :)

Here is the photo shoot of the job.

picture.php?albumid=619&pictureid=12442&thumb=1 picture.php?albumid=619&pictureid=12441&thumb=1 picture.php?albumid=619&pictureid=12440&thumb=1 picture.php?albumid=619&pictureid=12439&thumb=1 picture.php?albumid=619&pictureid=12438&thumb=1 picture.php?albumid=619&pictureid=12437&thumb=1 picture.php?albumid=619&pictureid=12436&thumb=1 picture.php?albumid=619&pictureid=12413&thumb=1

Larger pics are available at http://www.ohio-riders.com/album.php?albumid=619

Oh yea, it cost $20.00 for the awsome handmade baffle, $2 for the steel wool and $2 for the mechanics wire. :)

That Wheezle is a good dude!

Uh, oh. Here comes the shitstorm!! :D

• 1 month later...
Tom,

Good to see you got your scooter quietened back down. Hell the best suggestion I was going to offer was to remind you of my old Kaw 750 with the cherry bomb muffler welded to the pipes. Cheap, ugly, but effective and made for a nice deep thump that I used to LOVE to use to set off car alarms up in Squirrel Hill. Nowadays I just use a bigger 2 cyl. engine for the same results. LOL

:rolleyes:

Um, well, aww shucks...