Help Seized rear brake caliper.....

Jst2fst

The rear brake caliper on my bike has seized up and won't release. The caliper sat off for a bit and now it won't release anyone have any tips on how to release it or do I have to just take it apart to free up the parts? Any help would be greatly appreciated.:bow::D

The rear caliper on most bikes simply slides back and forth on the bracket. If it's stuck on the bracket, give it a gentle thump or two to see if it frees up. If it doesn't or does it again, remove the caliper and find out why the caliper or caliper piston isn't moving correctly.

Edited by ReconRat

To be more specific, since the rear caliper floats on the caliper bracket...

If it's dragging the pads on the inside of the rotor only, the caliper is stuck on the caliper bracket.

If it's dragging the pads on both sides of the rotor, the piston is stuck in the caliper.

Also, check the return spring on the fluid reservoir, where the brake pedal attaches.

If the spring isn't pulling back properly, it will also cause the caliper piston to drag.

But that shouldn't cause it to completely lock up.

The pistons in the caliper looks like its engaged and the break pads are touching together. Also the caliper if off of the rotor and not stuck to it. I tried to pry it loose but did not have the right tools. I'm going to try again tomorrow and knock it loose with a wrench the rear brake does not have much fluid in it as well suggestions?

I have fluid to put in it but the screws on the cap are rusting and corroding pretty bad hard to get them out without stripping the screws. I have new pads and some anti-seize that I'm going to put on it when it frees up if that will help it any. Front break works fine but I can't ride a bike with one working brake.

Didn't realize it was off the bike and stuck shut. Open the bleeder valve on the caliper, just enough to move the piston back inside the caliper. It will make a mess, use rags to soak it up. Keep the brake fluid off the paint, it will mess it up.

Didn't realize it was off the bike and stuck shut. Open the bleeder valve on the caliper, just enough to move the piston back inside the caliper. It will make a mess, use rags to soak it up. Keep the brake fluid off the paint, it will mess it up.

^^ This, open up the master cylinder as well if there is not much fluid and you have to add anyway. Don't just pry it loose or knock shit with a wrench, there is very few good reason to knock a bike at all, even when splitting stuck gaskets.