Rear Suspension + Front Brake

Osiris-016

My 1993 Kawasaki Ninja 250-F is having a problem with it's rear suspension now.

It had been sitting for 7 years, not sure if has anything to do with it, but the suspensions sticks down. It doesn't spring back up like it's supposed to even when you try to pull it back up, it gets stuck down. What can I do to fix this?

The front brake also has a weird sticking problem. When I pull, it engages normally but when pulling a bit further to a fast brake (not extremely fast) it hesitates and then i squeeze harder and it finally goes through but then it jams the front brake. There seems to be something making it not go through that one point and it's kind of in the sweet braking spot.

What to do!?

I would't bother trying to fix the rear shock. You can find one that works on ebay for $25.

For the brakes, change the fluid and bleed the lines. If that doesn't fix it you may need to replace bushings.

Thanks. I was just wondering about the shock in case it needed something simple like some oil or something. I don't think this generation of 250 can be adjusted or anything, which sucks.

How much would it run me to clean out those brake lines? I'm thinking maybe, because it was dropped by previous owner, something may be bent and is getting stuck. I'll have to take a closer look.

I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on this bike as I bought it for $250 and spent less than $100 to get it running again. I want to make some sort of profit off it.

I've noticed, as well, that the fairings don't line up with the body. I think I may have bent the gas tank when forcing compressed air through the overflow hole to unclog the petcock (was the only way, tried to run other stuff through it but impossible). Now the fairings are REALLY tough to get on and they're under a lot of strain. I don't know, but it's bad and it has cracked my left fairing completely in half.

The tires, which I have no idea how old they are, probably need to be replaced as well. The tread is pretty low and they must be at least 7 years old. Where can I get some new cheap tires? I'm not crazy about tires and don't need the best of the best, but anything is better than slippery old tires, you know?

Ebay or such for a rear shock, and even if you replace the caliper and master cylinder for th efront brake, I would guess you wouldn't have more than $100 in it all.

For tires, I have the Bridgestone Battlax BT45's on mine, and they do pretty well.

ninja250.org has an abundance of information about these bikes in their FAQ.