'98 YZ250 hard start, poor performance. whats "normal"?

idodishez

Bought a '98 YZ250 (2 stroke) a few weeks ago. Started fine when I test drove it, on 1st or second kick. Granted, I did feel like a big wuss as it definately took some jewels to kick it, but it did start.

Got it home. Seemed to not run the smoothest. Kind of varies in PRM's even when not changing the throttle (cruising down the street at 25 or so for example) Would feel like it was bogging sometimes, then other times it would pop a wheelie w/o even really trying.

Now, never having had a 2 stroke (other than a moped) I dont know how much of this is normal for a 2 stroke.

Finally today, I couldn't get it started at all. I don't see this "decompression lever" that has been referenced in other threads. The choke consists of a 3/4" diameter or so thumbscrew that you open and close by turning. Never really noticed a difference in starting or running either way. Saw some other threads that made it seem like 2 strokes are much easier to start than 4 strokes. Well this is definately NOT an easy kick. Cant see my 16 y/o old son pulling this off by himself.

So if I cant find a shop to work on it, what are some pointers on where to look first for these issues? Spark plug? Where else?

Thanks

check out the carb...i had one that wouldnt idle right and the RPMs were bouncing...had a bad float in the carb

somewhere to start atleast

and i thought decompression levers were a 4 stroke thing? i didnt know 2 strokes had them

i just slapped some hotcams into my 4 stroke....got rid of the decompression lever bs and gave it a little more kick

Edited by Steve Butters

Not sure if the YZ is the same but I just got rid of an RMX250 and on it when you turned the chock knob it actually adjusted the idle speed. To activate the choke you just simply pulled out on the knob. I dont know of any two strokes with decompression levers only four strokes, but maybe I am wrong on that. Best advice I got on starting mine was bring it to top dead center (when the compression is the strongest) and ease the kick lever down till it just starts to let off som pressure. Return the lever to the top and kick all the way through with all your weight. Helped me alot getting the RMX started. I struggled a lot at first and had wished I still had my four stroke YZ since I knew the drill for starting it. Hope this helps.

mix up some new gas and oil and put it in the tank , and check the plug . if its a Champion throw it away and get a NGK . also check the boot to see if it has a good seal on the Carb . 2 strokes are made to rev , riding around at low rpm's you are just going to keep fouling plugs .