Shooting at Fort Bliss Army Base

chevysoldier

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/09/20/shooting-fort-bliss-army-base/

A shooting at Fort Bliss Army base in Texas forcing the area into lockdown Monday afternoon, U.S. Army officials confirmed to Fox News.

Officials said shots were fired inside Shopette, a convenience store on the base. Officials are sealing off the area and closing the gates at Fort Bliss.

Details about the identity of the shooter or about possible casualties are still unclear.

A press conference is under way.

So people are aware, bases are a no gun zone. Rifle's are issued and are to be taken only from the armory to the ranges for qualifications. Maybe to another designated area for cleaning. ammo is issued at the range for soldier's qualifying. It is left at the range. Personal firearms are kept at the armory and can be checked out when they want to shoot at the range. Only higher ranking soldier's are allowed to keep them at their homes on base, with the post commander's approval. No one other than a military police officer is walking around with a loaded pistol. No different than in the civilian side, cops aren't on every street corner.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39277688/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

The Fort Bliss commander says two people are dead after a shooting at a small grocery store on the West Texas Army post.

Col. Joseph A. Simonelli Jr. declined to discuss details or identify the victims of the Monday afternoon incident.

Simonelli said the area was roped off for an FBI investigation, but the sprawling facility next to El Paso was never under lockdown.

Simonelli says the shooting was reported about 3 p.m. local time and authorities responded in about three minutes.

thats nuts. can civilians to to said stores?

you have to have a military issued Id to shop in them . The soldier is issued theirs and the immediate family get's one too. Not sure about kids. when my parent's visited me, I had to buy the stuff for them because they weren't allowed to shop there. The stores on base are also tax free which is a reason not to allow just anyone to shop there I'm sure.

wonder if this is going to be the work of another extremist?

oh and its ft. hood, discovery channel building, and now ft bliss.....

At a Shopette? Doubt it. Shopettes are little convenience stores. If someone had walked into something larger like an Exchange or Commissary then I could see it.