Buell Back in Business with 1190RS

Disclaimer

Somehow I don't think that EB would agree with that. From the interviews I've seen/read, I'd say the man genuinely believes the technology gives an advantage. The underpowered 1125RR was consistently scoring top tens in AMA Superbike this year...something must be working.

We'll know for sure if the 1190RS gets homolgated into Superbike for next season :lets-eat:

No, Buell would never make that statement. His quirky features are what sets him apart from every other manufacturer. But at the end of the day, if the things he was doing were so great, you'd see other people doing them.

No, Buell would never make that statement. His quirky features are what sets him apart from every other manufacturer. But at the end of the day, if the things he was doing were so great, you'd see other people doing them.

Kinda hard to legally copycat a patented design... jussayin'

ZTL brakes, for example.

Kinda hard to legally copycat a patented design... jussayin'

ZTL brakes, for example.

True, but in this industry, patents are held to very specific criteria. Otherwise we'd only have one suspension company, one brake company, etc.

Disagree. What specific criteria? They're held to the criteria that all patents are held to, if they're granted by the USPTO.

There was nothing stopping Bosch or Bremo from coming up with a ZTL design - they just didn't. And the other components aren't patented because they can't be - there is no novelty beyond current embodiments.

I've gone through this before.

ZTL is a good example...

After 3 generations of ZTL, stopping power is on par with the best dual disc binders that have been in developement for 25+ years. Plus ZTL gives lots of feel.

The advantage of the ZTL was never stopping power, it's weight. It's sheds something like 4 pounds of unsprung weight and most of that is in the front wheel.

The only other way to shed that much unsprung weight is carbon fiber wheels and you can't do that at a price point that will actually sell.

• Upvote 1