Home Theater Suggestions

tyler524

I am thinking about buying a new surround sound setup. Right now I have a decent Panasonic SA-PT950 http://www.crutchfield.com/S-T7cyLoSVIrZ/p_133SCPT950/Panasonic-SC-PT950.html?tab=detailed_info but I am thinking about getting an actual stand alone receiver and probably a new speaker setup. I bought a blueray player so I now have this bigger unit on the bottom of my entertainment center that I don't even use the 5 disc dvd player on. One feature that I absolutely don't want to lose is my wireless rear speaker setup. I like front tower speakers but would settle for satellite speakers. I don't want to spend a fortune but don't want to waste my money on something that I won't be happy with. I'd like to stay away from a passive sub. I would preferably like to spend no more than about $7-800. I could always upgrade down the road because I know that I probably won't end up with anything too special for that price.

Have considered a new all in one system but not too sure. I am really liking this setup. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_305HT6730W/Samsung-HT-C6730W.html?tp=6419

Edited by tyler524

Bose's premium system is expensive, but it's extremely effective, and inconspicuous...

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/home_theater/51channel_systems/component_systems/lifestyle_v_class/index.jsp

Bose does make good quality speakers! Its amazing all that sound comes out of those little speakers. I love my Wave Radio!!

To be honest, IMO Bose is way over rated and over priced..... like HD. But again that is my opinion on Bose.

HD may be overrated, but I can't watch standard definition without getting annoyed at the blur, and I can't watch analog without getting a headache from all the graininess.

now if you want to go into 720p/1080i/1080P I can't see a difference unless the screens are side by side showing the same program.

Go into a bose store, and ask to participate in their demonstration. the people at the beachwood store were more than happy to do a demo for us, even though we really had no intention to buy, it was cool to see the technology, and hear how well it worked.

Ill sell you my Klipsch synergy center channel (SC.5) and both rear surrounds (SS.5) for $150 still have original packaging. Ive been looking to upgrade also.

Pair with these:

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Synergy-Bookshelf-Loudspeaker-Pair/dp/B000NGTKOI/ref=sr_1_2?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285131763&sr=8-2

and this Bic Acoustech H100:

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Bic-Acoustech-H100-Cinema-Series-Powered-Subwoofer/1513356/product.html?cid=123620&fp=F&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=1136841

And youve got a decent beginner 5.1 speaker setup for $570.

The Bic sub is one of the best 12" subs out there in that price range. Just ask around any of the AV forums.

I'm runnin pioneer elite 7.2 with clipsh speakers in my theater room with dual 15" woofers. dude its better than goin to the theater!!! plus my reciever does the video switching as well so its just one remote that runs the entire system. Another thing it does is it can play multiple rooms so I can be watching a movie and the music can still play at the bar area.

Bose's premium system is expensive, but it's extremely effective, and inconspicuous...

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/home_theater/51channel_systems/component_systems/lifestyle_v_class/index.jsp

For $3,300 there are other systems that could produce similar, possibly better results.

If it were my $3,300 I would get a Magnepan based home theater system. I'm thinking 4 of the Magnepan MMG W ($325/pair =$650) and of course a center channel, MMG C ($299). A Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer ($999) that has easy to setup room equalization. And to power it all I'd get a NAD T-747 Home Theater Receiver. ($1300). And finally for cables and such I'd splurge on some Nordost (Flatline Gold for the speaker connections and Blue Heavens for the interconnects) to finish off the $3,300. Maybe some of the components can be downgraded slightly or can be found on sale to help make it more under the $3,300 mark.

$650+$299+$999+$1300 = $3,248 (components without cables).

Edited by alienpi

To be honest, IMO Bose is way over rated and over priced..... like HD. But again that is my opinion on Bose.
I've done a couple of those Bose demos before and yes they do sound great but for half the price you could have something that sounds just as good.

both are highly accurate quotes. They are good "box" systems if you will but are absolutely overpriced for what you get. Hell my buddy used to work at the Bose store in Cinci before he opened up his own Home Theater store and he said the same. His opinion I trust greatly when it comes to this stuff since he has been doing it for almost 15 years now. Don't get me wrong its good stuff, but I've put together systems that have blown their packages away for almost half the price

The big question here is do you want a box system or do you want to piece your own together? For that price range you can get a mid-level box system or piece together a fairly nice setup

If I bought a box system, it would be the Samsung from the bottom of my first post. I am thinking about piecing together something, I gave like 600 for that box system I have now and now 2 years later im in the market for another one. I would like to have a receiver that sources video. I just put in new hardwood floors and don't want to drill holes to run wire to the rear speakers.

Bose is to audio guys what HD is to sport bike guys- overmarketed, overpriced, underperforming, and over-rated. There are some speakers in the $300 / pair range that will just destroy anything bose has ever done. Look at Paradigm or Wharfdale.

I've been an audio freak most of my life. I build most of my own stuff now. I also play guitar and drums, so I know what music is supposed to sound like. You can do much better than bose (which stands for Better Off (with) Something Else).

i'm a cheap ass, so i bought the following:

denon AVR 1910 (or whatever it is) receiver

energy take 5 classic for surrounds (I have a center that's just sitting around... dunno what to do with it cause i was originally using it as a 5.1 setup)

polk monitor 70's for left and right fronts

polk cs2 for center

and i think i have a Bic F12 for sub.. but now i can't remember.

it sounds ok, but i think my living room is too big for the setup. it doesn't sound terribly loud unless i turn it up a lot.