My hack attempt at making kewl custom earbuds

jbot

So, right away, this thread is a fail cause i don't have them in front of me to take pics with buuuuuuuut....

I've been searching high and low for a good pair of earbuds that:

1. that doesn't sound like shit

2. blocks outside noise (ie wind, engine, and exhaust) well

3. has, at minimum, volume control. pause, mute, etc would be better

4. fits well underneath my helmet so it doesn't get all messed up if i try to put on the helmet.

5. microphone, since i listen to music with my phone, useful for when i'm NOT on the bike.

well, after months of lazily searching whenever i remember to look for it (lazily, because i was using these with limited success: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/noise-reduction-earphones/), I finally came up with a final solution.

after curb stomping millions of puppies, and still not having any good earplug/earbuds/handsfree, i found these relevant puppies for 50% off:

delicious puppies

zb_full-zsb-black-1.jpg

but these still had the crummy, flimsy silicone pads that don't block much of anything... it also had the foam tips, but those are fairly useless after a few uses... so i was reading up from a few forums that are audio snobs that talked about getting a custom earplug molded from their local audiologist... for like $100+. well, if you know me, i'm a cheap fucking bastard. so i found these instead.

41goxzEAY0L._SL160_AA300_.jpg

I got these, put on the smallest silicone earpad the earbuds come with, got the custom molding kit ready and shoved some in my ear, then immediately shoved the earbud into the mold, and sat around for a while looking like a retard.

10 minutes later, voila, i had earbuds that also blocks noise almost as well as traditional disposable foam ear plugs, has pause, volume control and is also a handsfree for my phone. i don't recommend this, but the handsfree even works while you're riding... up to about 40 mph and then the phone can no longer process out the wind noise.

if you're going to do this, i want to note you'll want to block off the path of the earbud speaker so it doesn't get freshly molded silicone stuck to it. it also makes it a lot easier when you cut away some of the molding to expose the earbud.