clutch replacement

codygsxr600

...how mechanical are you??? you should replace the steels and the springs too!!!! I mean shit if the springs dont give enough pressure say bye bye to the new fi9bers!!!!!

look up how to do it. If you feel comfortable go for it. If not, take it in. ( it is pretty easy IF you are mechanical)

well basically at the end of summer it was popping into neutral when i would go to shift in to second from first and one day when i shifted the whole bike died on 270 so i had to push it in second gear to get it go with out stalling in first, first was gone and all other gears were slipping bad. so i limped it all the way home. and i would say i have enough mechanical skill to do it if its easy i just wasn't sure how hard it was.

If its popping in and out of gears then that is most likely not your clutch..

With the bike off, can you shift through the gears?..

A shot clutch will usually allow you to ride somewhat but when you give it some gas, it will just rev to the moon.

As far as the shifting into neutral, you probably just missed giving it a hard enough kick to get it all the way there. Also, a shot clutch should not cause your bike to die. I assume that when you say first is gone, you mean that it just slips anytime your in first?

This is all there is to replacing clutch plates. All you have to do is take out all 5 screws, pull that pressure plate off. then replace all the steel and fiber plates you see listed there. Takes about 20 min. by the way, this pic is the exact microfich for your 02-600 so this is exactly what you will see. When you do it, make sure that all the plates are facing the same way. the steel plates will have a rounded side and a flat sharper side. make sure they are all facing the same way. Also take notice when you pull your old plates off so you know which way the steels should be facing. Im not sure it matters as long as they are all facing the same way but it never hurts to know for sure. Last time I changed them I believe I had all the flat sides of the steel plates facing the bike with the rounded side facing outward.

clutch.bmp

Echoing the clutch comments refering to your popping out response. It isn't the fibers of steels causing that issue...

However, you stated it was slipping in the other gears. THAT'S a clutch issue. However, in order to tell, it needs a load placed on it (Start of in 2nd gear at about 25 mph) and pull the throttle. Any slippage will occur in any gear you choose for the most part. The RPMs will not match the speddo in terms of the motor accelerating vs. the speed you are going...

I'd worry about a shift fork or worn clog on a gear internally as far as the popping in and out....

On those year GSXRs, you have a serious time element involved in taking a tranny out. A LOT bigger job than most care to undertake.

On those year GSXRs, you have a serious time element involved in taking a tranny out. A LOT bigger job than most care to undertake.

Is there that much of a difference in those years as opposed to the 05 and newer? You just replaced yours so was it more work then you expected?

Is there that much of a difference in those years as opposed to the 05 and newer? You just replaced yours so was it more work then you expected?

It's easier on the 05s. They don't need the bolts running down from the head through the bottom end to be removed...

Just pull off the bottom and WHAMO!!! Easy access, baby.

It was really simple. For me, but again, unless you have decent to above average mechanical skills, I think I'd advise to send it to someone who can.

It's easier on the 05s. They don't need the bolts running down from the head through the bottom end to be removed...

Just pull off the bottom and WHAMO!!! Easy access, baby.

It was really simple. For me, but again, unless you have decent to above average mechanical skills, I think I'd advise to send it to someone who can.

I think after the shit I went through with that dirtbike that I would do just fine. Engine = 400 pieces and now runs just fine.

I love how everytime I log on to ask a question in the tech section,someone already asked it and saved me the trouble.Seriously,this is like the 3rd time this has happened and I am yet to have to ask a question here.

Anyways,I need to replace my clutch too.It is officially shot,there's no adjusting it.Can anyone recommend a good place to get full clutch kits (discs,springs,etc)?

*edit* these look like winners?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-07-Yamaha-YZF600R-EBC-clutch-plates_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35595QQihZ008QQitemZ180201693310QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW#ebayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-07-Yamaha-YZF600R-EBC-clutch-springs_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35595QQihZ008QQitemZ180201693314QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW