iPhone @ 90,000ft - edge of space

ReconRat

Wait! Don't throw out that old iPhone.

Send it to outer space on a balloon.

Film a movie of Earth from 100,000 feet up at the edge of space.

CNET news article

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXkoIBDXwd8&feature=player_embedded

Edited by ReconRat
  • Upvote 1

Im sure the FAA will be pressing charges against them.
I am working on the legality of the project or else I am doin it :D

[http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=437146

There are launch sites that are supposed to be used. Scheduled in advance, I think. But launches to higher altitudes require special permission, I think. Hard to remember the rules...

edit: Here's the FAA rules for free balloons.

There are weight maximums and construction requirements to stay under. Launching through cloud cover below 60,000 feet with less than horizontal visibility of 5 miles was a no-no. It should have been a clear day (for 5 miles). But that rule and most of the others, don't apply if the device stays under the maximum limits of weight and construction.

Excerpts from U.S. Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR)

Part 101 related to unmanned free balloons.

Edited by ReconRat

Since the technology to do this didn't previously exist... I would expect the possibility of changes to the FAA rules to cover it. The example is when home built ultra lights started getting a bit bigger with modern small engines, the rules had to change. They weren't aircraft or ultralights. A category of Light Sport Aircraft was created to cover the new technology, with new limitations.

If your serious about launching your own balloon project here is some info

http://www.amsat.org/amsat/balloons/balloon.htm

I can build the recovery system for anyone wanting to make a attempt. My day job consist of design/engineer, & manufacture recovery systems for projects like this.

fusee-black-brant81.jpg

I make recovery systems for the hobby high power rocket community as well. This is my 6 year old daughter next to one of my own rockets.

BigCletus18.jpg

Here it is on the recovery phase.

DSC00167.JPG

Just for reference 100,000' is not even close to outerspace, the official barrier is 73 miiles (385,440')

We live in "interesting times" when < $1,000 of equippment can let you have an "edge of space" experience. I bet these guys young boys will talk about this for the rest of their lives and base future "school projects" on pulling this off again!

Makes my old Estes rocket with 110 film pretty lame... ;-)

• 4 weeks later...