audiophiles... EE's some ideas?

magley64

you may be right, but here is a better shot of the sharp 15's, and what they have to say for themselves.

IMG_20101024_155956.jpg

and here are the 12's

IMG_20101024_155504.jpg

here is the amp I fried.

IMG_20101024_155721.jpg

this stuff is all from like 86 - 87 i think, so I'm not sure how much they lied about their power back then. :dunno:

That would be peak watts for the speakers. They are bass reflex speakers as well which means they are not high compliance. But you can do some interesting things by changing the length of the tubes thereby changing the bass effect for the speaker.

The Amp was 150 watts per channel, 300 total, probably peak watts as well.

Also all the equipment is Japanese as well which does make a difference as their amps worked with voltage amplification as a principal design. Smaller transformers less shipping on the big boat to get here. This is why the numbers game was being played. Very typical for the day.

Crown amps are another thing altogether. No transistors for outputs, they use MOSFETS. Another animal altogether, voltage and amperage!

If you go with the Crown I predict a pile of sawdust and magnets in your future. :D

If you add all the other stuff you are talking about as well perhaps you want to go with something like this just to start. http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/products/pa_systems/index.html

Not bad bang for the buck and it's portable. ;)

Bench testing amps with a certain load resistor is just a way of the manufacture saying in perfect conditions this is what it will make.

Testing with a reative load is better.

Because in real world use your 4ohm speaker is never. You will have impedance rise. At different frequencies there will be a different amount. You speaker could be 4ohms at 30hz but then be 16ohms at 40hz.

As far as cone control yes the enclosure will have the majority of an effect, but comparing qms and qts should give you a feel for it ahead of time.

A subwoofer with low qts will have better cone control because of the re/bl^2 (motor force).

Qms or the mechanical Q of the driver also has effect. Higher the qms the better mechanical damping. Now This is with the suspensions, surround and spiders.

Then factor mms and cms and there's a whole lot more variables.

I totally agree with the real world testing.

The rest, at one time I knew (somewhat) what I was doing with T/S parameters, but it has been so long that I would need a serious refresher.

Also all the equipment is Japanese as well which does make a difference as their amps worked with voltage amplification as a principal design. Smaller transformers less shipping on the big boat to get here. This is why the numbers game was being played. Very typical for the day.

I don't disagree with your assesment, but I thought sharp was german...

All the manuals I find for this system are in german...?

I do appreciate all the information you're giving me. Thnx

I don't disagree with your assesment, but I thought sharp was german...

All the manuals I find for this system are in german...?

I do appreciate all the information you're giving me. Thnx

Glad to help with info.

Please note that the German service manuals will not be the same exact circuits as the USA models. All stereo equipment is made for a specific region. For example Sharp USA would offer a model xyzHC where Sharp EU would have xyzHQ or some such thing.

Some things to remember about this practice, parts, manuals are different.

From the obvious wall voltage difference 220@50hz vs 110@60hz, tuning bands of the radio and even face plates having the word volume in different languages. There may be other subtle but very real differences in the fitment of volume controls or the like. Circuit boards may be totally different as well as features of the equipment.

There is also a practice of selling things called "Gray Market Goods" where a importer buys say a walkman from Toshiba AU and sells them in the USA. It then breaks and you take it in for warranty and they tell you it can't be fixed because they can't get the parts it needs from Toshiba USA because they don't sell them.

Germans like to tinker on things themselves, hence the number of $40.00 service manuals on-line at private websites.

Isn't consumer electronics a fun thing to talk about! :rolleyes:

Sharp Corporation (シャープ株式会社, Shāpu Kabushiki-gaisha?) ((TYO: 6753) is a Japanese multinational corporation that designs and manufactures electronic products. Headquartered in Abeno-ku, Osaka, Japan, Sharp employs more than 54,000 people worldwide as of October 31, 2009. The company was founded in September 1912. It takes its name from one of its founder's first inventions, the Ever-Sharp mechanical pencil, which was invented by Tokuji Hayakawa (早川 徳次) in 1915. Since then it has developed into one of the leading electronics companies in the world. As a semiconductor maker, Sharp is among the Worldwide Top 20 Semiconductor Sales Leaders and among the Top 100 R&D Spenders in a list published by IEEE Spectrum magazine. It gained public awareness in the United Kingdom when it sponsored Manchester United F.C. from 1982 to 2000, which was a period of great success for the club.

Sharp took a controlling stake in Pioneer Corporation in 2007. On 25 June 2009, they agreed to form a joint venture with Pioneer on their optical business to be called "Pioneer Digital Design and Manufacturing Corporation".[1]

• Upvote 1