any comments about 05 WR 250?

Jayracer38

I am thinking about buying an 2005 WR 250.

I have not had a dirt bike before so don't have a lot of knowledge about them. Any comments about this model/year? Anything I should look for etc. It looks brand new and runs like new I am told... and was bought, road a few times and forgotten. I know someone who is friends with them and they are really honest.

Thanks

Very solid bike, reliable as hell, good usable power. IIRC, the 2005 had a steel frame. Suspension is pretty good if you're in the 160-180lb range, otherwise you'll wanna go sick on springs. Like everything, choked up something fierce from the factory so it's stock could use uncorked with a jet kit, carb mods and a good aftermarket pipe. Sounds by the description it's close to stock.

If you get it the first thing you NEED to do is rejet it and put a pipe on it. These bikes are amazing but choke them selves to death to meet emissions. Yamaha sells a AIS removal kit, for $50, well worth the performance increase.Look for lack of attention to chain/sprocket adjustment, noises due to lack of greasing bearings, axles, and suspension pieces, all easy fixes but should help beat down price.

so...where do you all ride around Columbus?

Nothing near Columbus really, I either ride Perry SF, occasionally Wayne or hit some outlaw trails & dual sport loops....there's some out here east of Cowlumbus.

Plating your bike will be in your best interest, btw, if it's not already...you can ride Perry for free if you do, and some of the best riding in the area are the dual sports put on by ZTR & Licking County Trail riders (Flint Ridge, Bootleg, Hanging Rock, etc.).

Rocky Mountain ATV has a really nice dual sport kit cheap...you already have the light & tail light on the WR, so all you need is a wiring harness, switch, a brake switch & a mirror & you're legal (signals not required by Ohio).

• 2 weeks later...

Well...got it and took it to Wellsville this past Saturday with a big group of ATV riders and it was a blast..but I need to invest in some hip and elbow pads. I am thinking about those mesh shirts that have all the armor built in...and some armored shorts? One ATV ended in a tree about 7 feet off the ground and another guy got a nice gash...oh and a few met the local police....maybe Perry this weekend!Has the exhaust mod (remove the restrictor but keeps spark arrestor), the grey wire mod (allows the CDI unit to advance the spark), the throttle mod (removes the limiter block from the throttle allowing the bike to fully rev up), the idle mixture screw mod (removes the sealing cap from the carb and installs and idle mixture screw so you can tune the bike), New racetech springs (maybe a little too stiff for me). replaced the stock carb fuel bowl screws with allens, Moose racing brush busters and hand guards on it.

The EVS Option elbow/knee guards are the bomb, for the $$ they're awesome...very comfy. I prefer a chest protector to a pressure suit (mesh/armor), I found the pressure suits to not hold up very well, expensive, and in the summer they're hot as fuck.

Good boots are a must tho, if you don't have a good pair spend the $$, you're absolutely guaranteed to hurt your ankles/shins if you ride offroad. They pay for themselves the first time you land under the bike.

BTW, if you wanna hit Perry a couple of us are going to go down Sunday and putz around (my buddy has a WR250 too). Won't be anything hardcore, just some trails and goofing off. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

The EVS Option elbow/knee guards are the bomb, for the $$ they're awesome...very comfy. I prefer a chest protector to a pressure suit (mesh/armor), I found the pressure suits to not hold up very well, expensive, and in the summer they're hot as fuck.

Good boots are a must tho, if you don't have a good pair spend the $$, you're absolutely guaranteed to hurt your ankles/shins if you ride offroad. They pay for themselves the first time you land under the bike.

BTW, if you wanna hit Perry a couple of us are going to go down Sunday and putz around (my buddy has a WR250 too). Won't be anything hardcore, just some trails and goofing off. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

Thanks for the suggestions. I agree EVS is nice... I had everything but upper body....which is now covered...some armored shorts and should be bruise free next time.

Perry sounds good...I know you need registration and ORV plate for that place... hoping I can get it taken care of before Sunday...If I do...I would like to meet up with you guys. If not may run back to Wellsville. Thanks

I know you need registration and ORV plate for that place

You need the ORV sticker but not if you're not plated & street legal, but if you've got the plate that's all that's required for Perry. You do need a title to get either one, btw. No fee to ride there, unlike Wayne.