Glock 17?

scottb

I am looking for a 9 mm semi auto pistol. I have up to $500 to spend.

At first I thought I wanted a 40 Cal, but after actually seeing a 9 MM bullet, I think if you got hit one you would feel it. ANd the price of 9mm ammo is less expensive then 40 cal

So, back on track, I got to fire a friends Glock 17 (Gen 3) at the range last night. VERY VERY nice. I loved the feel of the trigger, and the grip fit in my hand.

I rented a SPringfield XD9 at the range. I am sure it was because it was a rented gun, but had 2 jams in one mag., would not eject the spent round.

The third gun I got to shoot was a FEG P9M ( 9 MM) semi auto, clone or knock-off of a Browning high power. This gun felt nice in my hand. Trigger felt decent, but not like the Glock. Possibly due to Walmart purchased Federal ammo, but this gun also had an issue. The spend round casing and the new bullet from the magizine got all jammed up in the chamber. I had to pull back on the slide and shake the gun so the spent casing would fall out. I am not sure of what the feet per second of the Federal ammo, but maybe not powerful enough to create enough force to eject the spend round? ( I do realize it is a clone of a "HIGH POWER" model)

So, I can purchase this FEG pistol for $200, comes with an Uncle Mike holster and one extra 14 round mag, or do I save up and get a GLock 17? I am not concerned about a compact firearm, at least not yet.

I probably should have just asked about motor oil......

Thanks for the input

Edited by scottb

i'm going through the same process right now. i have a smith and wesson m&p 9 that i've been playing around with and really like it. i'll be shooting the glock 17 next monday. too bad bedford wasn't closer to zanesville, you could come try the m&p tomorrow.

If you're set on a Glock, go with the 19 or 19c. You won't gain much, if any accuracy with the bigger gun. Honestly though, check out a Sig P229. I picked up a police trade for less than $500 and now I'm completely hooked on the higher-end Sigs. Just dry fire all of your choices and you'll feel the difference. Don't get me wrong, Glock and Springfield make great, reliable, accurate weapons. The M&P is right there with them but I wanted to make Chevy doubt himself for a minute.

Buy an M&P. So much better than any Glock. Search for any of my 500 posts on why M&P > Glock. :D

Your always welcome to shoot my .45

And yet with 500 nut swinging posts of Dan Wessons greatness you've yet to present any evidence to back up your frivolous claims. :nono:

XD or Glock all day, Chevy don't know

You should look at an XDM....

Just picked this up.

It was between the G17 and the XDM.. XDM felt better in my hands plus right now, SA is throwing in 3 additional mags if you purchase before 12/31.

Also,

The Glock had a fail to feed....

Put 150 rounds through it last night.....flawless

101_1369.jpg

101_1367.jpg

for basic defense and maybe a consealed carry go with the glock 19. i know people who own and i have seen much more expensive and "better" guns in action. the glock out performs all of them regularly. no jamming or stovepipes. the maintainance and teardown is also the easiest

To each is own man. Good luck. I could never force myself to buy another glock. I had a 22c model in .40 It was nice but I could not hit shit with it. "if you were shooting for shit you wouldn't get a wiff", I believe is what my dad told me one day. Put it away and grabbed my S&W sigma .40 and shot circles around him.

It is all how it fits you. So if the glock is your weapon of choice! Then get one!

But like these guys are saying there are tons of options out there.

It will be my first pistol, I will keep in the house as a backup home protection and to have fun at the range.

If you want to have fun at the range then get the G34, plus it makes a nice home defense weapon. The G34 is more accurate than the G17 for range duty but only equal to it for home defense as both use the same magazines. The G17 is not the best range gun they make is more accurate than the G19 but not as concealable. If you think you might want to carry the G19 is a great choice because it conceals almost as well as the G26 and is almost as accurate as the G17 plus it will hold G17 magazines for extra capacity so it lends itself for both duties. (Carry and home defense not range.) If the G34 didn't exist the G19 is what I would own. I have a G34 and am in search of a good price on a G26.

Buy whatever you shoot the best. I am not a Glock fan boy and I hate the way it feels in my hand but I can out shoot every other pistol I have shot with it. Rent what you think you might want to buy, do not go by holding it at the display case; how it fits your hand is only part of how well it will shoot for you.

The M&P is right there with them but I wanted to make Chevy doubt himself for a minute.

:lol:

And yet with 500 nut swinging posts of Dan Wessons greatness you've yet to present any evidence to back up your frivolous claims. :nono:

XD or Glock all day, Chevy don't know

:nono:

And there is gonna be another shoot at my place on Sunday if you wanna make the trip to compare there will be every make and model here.

Yep, be there to try different guns out.

We'll be there too.