Lets see the guns!

Beegreenstrings

Beegreenstrings, That's the cartouche I was asking about. On the original guns it was the inspectors stamp from the armory that produced the gun. On the reproduction stocks it is usually the gunsmith's own stamp or a reproduction of an original mark.

USGI stocks in good condition are harder to come by these days. I had a nice condition winchester stock on my one rifle that I sold for almost as much as I purchased the rifle for. DGR has a couple original stock sets for sale,

http://dgrguns.com/0-main-page-tools.htm

you can check them out if you want. They have some new production stocks that are to die for also.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Want!

5039835634_a_9651a_2d_25_z-tm-tfb.jpg

WASHINGTON, Dec. 9 (
) –
The U.S. Army is shipping new rifles to Afghanistan that will enable snipers to hit a target nearly 4,000 feet away,
officials said.

The XM2010 rifle can hit targets a quarter-mile farther away than the weapon currently in use, USA Today reported.

Officials said the extra range is important because insurgents firing down from ridges and mountaintops take advantage of gravity, which helps their bullets travel beyond the range of Army snipers.

“They’re not outgunning us, but they are putting our soldiers in a predicament where 800 meters (2,625 feet) may not be enough,” said Col. Douglas Tamilio, referring to the maximum range of the current M24 sniper rifle. “You want to give guys the capability to do those things they need to do at those ranges.”

The new rifles also have a more powerful scope, and incorporate a muzzle flash device that dampens the noise and flash of a shot.

The Army’s 2,500 snipers will start receiving the new weapons early next year. The current sniper rifle has been in service since 1988.

Want!

WASHINGTON, Dec. 9 (UPI) – The U.S. Army is shipping new rifles to Afghanistan that will enable snipers to hit a target nearly 4,000 feet away, officials said.

Confused with this. The current Barrett M82 in service has an effective range of 5,900ft. :wtf: How is this new thing better? It is still a medium range weapon based on a .300 winmag

Want!

5039835634_a_9651a_2d_25_z-tm-tfb.jpg

WASHINGTON, Dec. 9 (
) –
The U.S. Army is shipping new rifles to Afghanistan that will enable snipers to hit a target nearly 4,000 feet away,
officials said.

The XM2010 rifle can hit targets a quarter-mile farther away than the weapon currently in use, USA Today reported.

Officials said the extra range is important because insurgents firing down from ridges and mountaintops take advantage of gravity, which helps their bullets travel beyond the range of Army snipers.

“They’re not outgunning us, but they are putting our soldiers in a predicament where 800 meters (2,625 feet) may not be enough,” said Col. Douglas Tamilio, referring to the maximum range of the current M24 sniper rifle. “You want to give guys the capability to do those things they need to do at those ranges.”

The new rifles also have a more powerful scope, and incorporate a muzzle flash device that dampens the noise and flash of a shot.

The Army’s 2,500 snipers will start receiving the new weapons early next year. The current sniper rifle has been in service since 1988.

Looks like the Remington MSR.

If im not mistaken, its a swap barrel system available in .308, 300 WinMag and 338LM.

Here is a better pic.

firearm_sniper_MSR_2_ss.ashx

firearm_sniper_MSR_4_ss.ashx

Confused with this. The current Barrett M82 in service has an effective range of 5,900ft. :wtf: How is this new thing better? It is still a medium range weapon based on a .300 winmag

A multitude of barrett's are currently deployed. M82 M82A1's M109's they are all being used with effective ranges past a mile. However, I think they are talking more of the average every service level snipers. Your spec ops teams have the barretts at will, ask and you shall recieve type of things. Where as the other grunts are at bay of what you get is what you got! Make it work. Most are using the M24A1's with the 10 round box mags. Standard issue marine built Remington 700's chambered in .308

So yes this and any other larger caliber, than a .308 is going to be a plus for the infantry's and their troops/sniper teams.

Sorry, it's just that the original article is written to make it sound like we don't already have an option for the longer shots. The new rifle is just a modular version of the same gun currently in service. It is chambered in .300 winmag which was one of the original options for the current M24 platform. Maybe it will be a better gun than what is currently in use, but from a skeptics standpoint it looks like they just dressed up an existing idea with some tacti-cool.

.300 winmag has always been an option for the current M24 platform, along with .338 lapua. Originally the military thought the .300 would be two hard to get ammo onsite in a battle so they opted not to buy the guns chambered in it. You can go to any gun store and buy a Remington M-24 in .300 winmag. There are current US military units already using the M-24 in .300 winmag, it is just not a standardized rifle.

Currently I know of two snipers in a unit using the .338 lapua barretts. They like them a lot! and have never been big fans of the .50 But like the one says. Depends on what you are doing.

I personally love the MSR from Remington. I do not however like the colapsible stock on it. Actually I dont like the stock at all! If I could mount up a PSR stock from MAgpul, I would be happy then. Maybe. Doubt it though.

Edited by Beegreenstrings

the barret is not a quote "sniper rifle" It's anti-personnel/anti-vehicle. It's made to stop vehicles primarily, and also lay out insurgents. The .300 win mag is a good change with a nice flat trajectory in comparison to the .308. Also you gotta look at cost. the Barrets are very expensive in contrast to the m24 and the MSR. not to mention the cost of the .50 cal rounds and the weight of the Barret.