1981 XS400 $500 for OR Members

dorifto240

The title is it, I've posted it on Craigslist as well, here's the link:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/2092216901.html

Good bike, fun/easy to work on, good around town.

Nice starter/second bike.

pm me for more info, and I can deliver (within reason or at least meet halfway).

$600 is what I've listed it at, $500 for OR members/friends of OR members because it's Christmas.

Man I wish I didnt have all of my christmas shopping to do. I wanna do a cafe project.

It would be a great bike for that. It's a pretty neutral platform as far as styling goes, it would be cool as a bobber, or chopper, or a brat style cruiser, or anything else you can think of.

does it do 140+?

Currently? Only if it's going down the side of a mountain with a 50mph tailwind.

It's top speed is around the 85-90 mark I believe, I've never been on a road where I feel comfortable enough to run it out.

Speed is a simple equation though:

Money = speed.

The XS400 has a new selling point:

IDIOT RESISTANT. Here's the story:

So had somebody come by today to look at the bike. It was going well, and then his UNCLE SHOWED UP...

It's 19 degrees out, the 400cc engine is small and cold blooded, and this motorcycle guru tries to get on the throttle immediately after the bike starts. Overwhelms the engine, and it dies. Of course.

He tries this three times.

Then he steps back, shakes his head and says:

"Something's wrong with the engine."

Okay Sparky, let me tell you what's wrong with the "engine." You we're pawing at the throttle of an air-cooled parallel twin on a cold night, like it was a prom date. They leave.

I come back outside, check to make sure Johnny Grabass hadn't screwed anything up too much, fire the bike up, and after a minute of warming up, she comes to life. Revs fine, no unusual rattles, clanks, vibrations, etc. Revs up fine, pops a bit like normal, etc etc etc.

Something wrong with the engine indeed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...