Lincoln was a psychic

Casper

Why would you penalize big business for being successful? If you do that, they'll lose all incentive and just move overseas.

Eh? You do realize big businesses get tax breaks which smaller businesses do not get, right? I'm not saying penalize anyone. I'm saying equal across the board.

Enlighten me, I'm not aware of a lot of these tax incentives.

Big businesses still pay more in total amounts.

Take Nationwide for instance here locally. Dublin gave them a 10 year tax abatement to open offices there. The idea is to bring the jobs, and collect the taxes later. However, the end of the ten years is up in 2011. Dublin refused to renew the tax abatement. Nationwide is now moving these offices back to downtown Columbus. As part of the deal with the City of Columbus, the City of Columbus will create a Tax Increment Finance District to support the Grandview Yard project being developed by Nationwide Realty. Essentially, another huge tax cut for Nationwide. It's all a game businesses play to get out of paying taxes.

So yes, big businesses pay more in taxes. So do rich people. Should their tax rates be LOWER because they pay more in total? Nada. Flat rate straight across the board. If someone making $30k/yr has to pay 18%, so should the person making $300k/yr. Same goes for businesses. If anything, the tax cuts/breaks should go to the little guys, but even that is iffy in my opinion.

Take Nationwide for instance here locally. Dublin gave them a 10 year tax abatement to open offices there. The idea is to bring the jobs, and collect the taxes later. However, the end of the ten years is up in 2011. Dublin refused to renew the tax abatement. Nationwide is now moving these offices back to downtown Columbus. As part of the deal with the City of Columbus, the City of Columbus will create a Tax Increment Finance District to support the Grandview Yard project being developed by Nationwide Realty. Essentially, another huge tax cut for Nationwide. It's all a game businesses play to get out of paying taxes.

So yes, big businesses pay more in taxes. So do rich people. Should their tax rates be LOWER because they pay more in total? Nada. Flat rate straight across the board. If someone making $30k/yr has to pay 18%, so should the person making $300k/yr. Same goes for businesses. If anything, the tax cuts/breaks should go to the little guys, but even that is iffy in my opinion.

So long as we're now on the same page. :)

I dunno why that's even an iffy point. The more wealth you extract from a country the more you should pay to protect it -- think of it like mining.

There are people on here that are convinced that lower taxes for the rich = 'trickle down' for the rest of us. This is failed economic concept.

we need to stop big companies from using creative bookkeeping and offshore tax havens to get out of paying what they actually owe.

but we wont. they will just keep buying elections to get their way.

• Upvote 1

So long as we're now on the same page. :)

I dunno why that's even an iffy point. The more wealth you extract from a country the more you should pay to protect it -- think of it like mining.

There are people on here that are convinced that lower taxes for the rich = 'trickle down' for the rest of us. This is failed economic concept.

Lower than what? Lower than they are now or lower percentages than lower tax brackets? Right now the higher tax brackets are 30+%, yet lower brackets are in the high teens. I agree, lower the taxes for the rich. They should not pay a larger percent than anyone else. It should be one flat rate for everyone.