Here's a question for you geniuses... Refrigerator in the garage in winter?

Casper

The OH building code only requires the "common" wall(s) (the walls between the house and the garage) to be "insulated". I don't recall the specific R value, but I do know it is LOW. So if it's 12〫outside, it will only be a matter of hours before the garage is 12〫.

If memory serves correctly, Ben only has the one common wall which is along a hall area, so that leaves 2 uninsulated walls and the zero insulated garage door.

Correct. I have one insulated wall. And I've had the garage door open off and on getting the snow shovel out, getting the snow blower running, etc.

I ran into the same thing the other night. Was sitting on the couch about 10pm and heard an odd boom from somewhere behind me. Figured it was a paint can exploding in the garage or something. Didn't feel like cleaning it up (and worried about the white car in there for a moment), so figured I'd deal with it later. Turns out that it was a can of Dr Pepper in the mini fridge out in the garage. Had frozen and blown the top completely off. Not through the little drinking hole. The whole top blew out around the wrapped seam at the top of the can. Pretty cool. Unplugged the fridge. Oh, and brought all aerosols and waxes inside....

• 10 months later...

Weird............my mom winters in Florida but leaves her fridge out in the garage full with nothing ever freezing, and thats up in Traverse City, Michigan. It gets a whole lot colder up there than anywhere around Columbus, for sure.