osu football

Hutch

I'm with gen3flygirl and brian on this one. Those guys knew that what they were doing was probably wrong. They have been catered too and spoiled the whole time they were hear and now its a sob story because they finally got caught. Pretty sure the rules are you can't sell or get rid of anything the university gives to you or you win until your gone....

And I don't feel too bad for any of them let alone Pryor. Saying he needed money...minus the fact that hes driving around a new Audi now... so I'll leave it at that. Suck it up and move on.

Yup... Rules are that as a college athlete, you cannot make any gains due to that fact. It's clearly stated and easy to understand...

One thing to note to the people saying they have the right to sell what is given to them. You are correct. Once they graduate or move off from college. Think about this - if they allow kids to sell anything they are given or awarded, think about when they go and court the high school kids.

I could have red shirted OSU. If the recruiter came to me and said "Hey Brian, we cannot offer a full scholarship, but understand that OSU has a lot of wins and championships. Our athletes make the most money on awards, gear, etc that they sell. We are one of the highest money generating colleges for our student athletes in the country. Because of that, you may not get college paid for, but you stand to make a lot of money selling things you have been given or awarded."

That's a can of worms that should never be opened. The idea is that the NCAA has major concerns over incoming students. Allowing them to sell what they get is something that can really cause a major issue in recruiting...

Championship rings are worth a shit pile of money. If they were allowed to sell them, it would be a major factor to some in choosing a college...

So what about the myriad other sports that OSU competes in? Should those students be paid too? They are putting in the same amount of effort, balancing school/sports just like the football players. How about the sports that the football program subsidizes by their revenue stream? Are you in favor of cutting those programs just to enrich a chosen few who are already getting a completely free college education? Who gets paid and who doesn't?

As for the piece of paper, its value is only as good as the person holding it. The education leading up to it, it can be argued, is the part that's valuable.

You make a good point on the other sports. Counterpoint: I'm guessing Tressel gets $2 million total - think the field hockey coach gets that too? How many sports would benefit if we cut the football coaching staff costs in half?

Your last point seems to contradict your earlier one. So if the diploma isn't really worth anything, what is the player getting that has value? They're back to playing for room and board. In this vein, I really like what Tres did with the pros coming back to train with the college guys. If you didn't graduate, then you can't come back to work out here until you do. At least that was the way it used to be.

You make a good point on the other sports. Counterpoint: I'm guessing Tressel gets $2 million total - think the field hockey coach gets that too? How many sports would benefit if we cut the football coaching staff costs in half?

Your last point seems to contradict your earlier one. So if the diploma isn't really worth anything, what is the player getting that has value? They're back to playing for room and board. In this vein, I really like what Tres did with the pros coming back to train with the college guys. If you didn't graduate, then you can't come back to work out here until you do. At least that was the way it used to be.

You cut their football program in half and the other sports will suffer greatly. OSU football is the number 1 money generating device OSU has. If you cut the coaching in half, nobody will coach for that little, the team will not perform and it will fail. Fail means the spectators will fall, the alumni will not donate as much and the overall program will fall.

That happens and nobody goes to OSU for the sports anymore. The student count falls and less money comes in, school drops status and it goes from great to community...

Not a good idea...