Boy Scouts Pinewood Durby

600ZZ4eb

Good morning good KR peeps,

My son has a pinewood durby contest coming up soon and i was wondering if anyone has a saw or cutter that would cut the pinewood design for his car....this weekend if possible (sorry for the short notice)....any help would be great. Apprently we missed the cutting session...

We're in Reynoldsburg btw. :-)

Thanks

Ebon

It's all about the lead dispersment in the car. You need enough that when it goes down the ramp it leaves the other cars sitting. :lol::D

My dad and I must have been like flounder. I took enough off of the car we had to add weight to it to make weight. I tried everything to get it back to weight nails sinkers (but they were still solid) and a few other items in the garage. nothing worked. Then I asked dad about boring the holes in the car itself and filling them with melted lead :D Bingo! he called his brother with a smelting pot and whoala...

here is a picture of flounder and his dad building the car

vlcsnap-372144.png

Mine was blue not red :)

And yes yes to boring holes and filling them with lead. Same thing we did. Then covered them will filler and painted the car. Dont forget powdered graphite on the nails for the wheels.

Edited by flounder

I, (I mean, my son) built a winning car once. This was for our local fair, not the scouts, but there were well over a hundred cars. I learned:

1. Aerodynamics don't matter. His car was simply the block. I have woodworking tools- this was his choice. He painted Bengals colors on it - crudely. Not only was his car a block, the surface was rough.

2. Relieve the wood behind the wheels so that only a small part of the body near the axle contacts the wheels.

3. Rub graphite into all parts of the wheels and anything that contacts them.

4. Drill holes in underside of car and glue in lead. Distribute weight evenly. I used some cast pistol bullets.

5. Add slightly more weight than is allowed. Depending on the accuracy of the scale, you may be approved. If not, use a pocket knife to shave off a little lead and re-weigh until you have the max allowable weight.

Good luck.