Venison

Speed

So I bought a pup over the summer and she is fed a raw diet.

I picked up about 6 deer frames and a couple of barrels of scrap trim from a processor and bagged it up and shared it with some friends who also feed their dogs a raw diet.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a processor or other source for venison.

A raw diet provides a range of benefits that commercial dog food can never hope match.

I'm still learning about it, but I can send you some info if you're interested.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it illegal to sell venison in OH ? I know it can be donated or given away for free. Or you can buy it from a deer farmer - but I'm looking to stay away from commercially processed sources.

I've never hunted so it'd take me quite a while to become competent enough to catch my own.

That is where commercially processed food comes into play, for people like you... There are some very good food sources out there. Raw diet may be "great" for your "dog" but as you can tell, it is hard to find food. Science Diet, Eukanuba, and a few others I can't think of. All you need to look for is the first four ingredients. If they have rice in the first four, they suck and are just fillers. It's something like that.

Youre right. Wild dogs evolved eating meat. However, I woulndt want to have "wild meat eating" dog in my house.

Sounds like someone bought a wolf hybrid.

Yeah. That'd be a helluva stinky steamer if it was a house dog.

Youre right. Wild dogs evolved eating meat. However, I woulndt want to have "wild meat eating" dog in my house.

Sounds like someone bought a wolf hybrid.

Haha - no, my dog is a dog (has AKC papers not that it matters), not a wild hybrid (illegal). Raw diets are for pretty much any dog - I know people with chihuahus, jack russels, poodles, dalmations, pugs, boxers, etc.

Edited by Speed

I believe what was really meant to be said is that an average person, i.e hunter, farmer, etc, cant go out and shoot and sell venison for profit. Reason being that meat being sold in the US is required by the USDA to be inspected, processed and sold via a certified meat processor/seller.

You can buy venison at Giant Eagle Market place in Upper Arlington.

I believe what was really meant to be said is that an average person, i.e hunter, farmer, etc, cant go out and shoot and sell venison for profit. Reason being that meat being sold in the US is required by the USDA to be inspected, processed and sold via a certified meat processor/seller.

You can buy venison at Giant Eagle Market place in Upper Arlington.

ahhhh yes now this makes sense. I need to find a place around me that I can get it from. None of my friends up this way hunt to give me some

ahhhh yes now this makes sense. I need to find a place around me that I can get it from. None of my friends up this way hunt to give me some

I can tel you that many of the high end or fancy markets will sell venison but generally only burger or filet (Backstrap) and be prepaired to pay a lot for it.

Giant Eagle Market place in Upper Arlington sells Venison Backstrap for $22.99/lb

• Upvote 1

Post sooo derailed. Make your own post if you want to talk about fast food dog food.

Don't be such a sheep.

Couple of links:

http://www.truecarnivores.com/whatvetssay.shtml

http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/

:lol:I apologize, I just went back and read the original post... I threw that link up there just for fun. I did a search for dog food and that is what came up, never looked at it enough to see what it was...

fyi.. even if it was a worlf hybrid.. its not illegal to own one..

actually in ohio you can own a pure bred wolf. it is classified as a canine as of the 1990's

I'm gonna buy me a wolf. :D

Isn't there something about the venison you buy from a store isn't as good as the stuff you'd get from a hunter? I had a buddy give me a big stick of it for christmas. Throw it on a ritz cracker with some pepper jack cheese and you got a great snack.