bolt action v. semi auto

redkow97

A single shot .22 has a bit more punch than semi

Thats not really true. Bullet energy is a factor of velocity and bullet weight which has to do with ammo type, weight, and barrel length.

I assume that's why they're considered better for long-range target shooting?

No. Bolt actions dont have moving parts trying to eject a round and chamber another during the firing process and therefore are inherently more accurate as everything is static during the firing.

Edited by flounder

what's the max accurate range for a .22?

a buddy of mine in the airforce is trying to sell me on a .270 bolt action rifle for $1300. He's a TAD more serious about target shooting than I'll ever be, and asked how far I can shoot the .22

He starts at 800 yard. :p

what's the max accurate range for a .22?

a buddy of mine in the airforce is trying to sell me on a .270 bolt action rifle for $1300. He's a TAD more serious about target shooting than I'll ever be, and asked how far I can shoot the .22

He starts at 800 yard. :p

What is your definition of accurate. Its all relative. Also, what happened to your $200 budget vs $1300 for your friends.

He "starts" at 800 yards yet he asks you how far you can shoot a .22? Yeah sure, I'll believe that when my shit turns purple and pigs fly out my ass. . Tell him to come out to TVP and shoot with us if he "starts" at 800. :rolleyes:

Edited by flounder

Thats not really true. Bullet energy is a factor of velocity and bullet weight which has to do with ammo type, weight, and barrel length.

No. Bolt actions dont have moving parts trying to eject a round and chamber another during the firing process and therefore are inherently more accurate as everything is static during the firing.

I know you have shot more than me, but trust me a bolt action 22 at point blank range to the head will kill one shot. Semi with same ammo will not.

I phrased the 800 yds. assertion poorly - my friend Dane wants to be able to shoot targets at 800 yds. That's the goal, not what he does now. That's why he wants a .270

He just did his marksmanship stuff for the air force, and he's an orthopedic surgical assistant, so I don't think he's had "typical" military training.

I have no idea what distance the marksmanship test was at, or what rifle they use; only that one of our mutual friends said he was rated an "expert" and hit the target 45/50 shots.

I phrased the 800 yds. assertion poorly - my friend Dane wants to be able to shoot targets at 800 yds. That's the goal, not what he does now. That's why he wants a .270

He just did his marksmanship stuff for the air force, and he's an orthopedic surgical assistant, so I don't think he's had "typical" military training.

I have no idea what distance the marksmanship test was at, or what rifle they use; only that one of our mutual friends said he was rated an "expert" and hit the target 45/50 shots.

Its a target at 25 meters... Its not as hard as you think to get expert.

Hell I am still trying to just get one AR. Plenty of pistols but I am lacking in the long gun dept.

yes, you ARE lacking in the long gun dept... at least, that's what she said.