bolt action v. semi auto

redkow97

Ok so if they are that good why put an aftermarket barrel? I can see a stock or optics. Kinda like guys who buy 150+ hp bikes and add tons of hop up parts but couldn't ride the bike when it was stock. Ok got it now the 10/22 is the gixxer 1000 of the gun world..

The difference in barrels is the same as having a stock motor or a Super Sport build motor.. Big difference in accuracy between a factory button rifled barrel over a cut rifled barrel by one of the major custom barrel makers.

Edited by flounder

The difference in barrels is the same as having a stock motor or a Super Sport build motor.. Big difference in accuracy between a factory button rifled barrel over a cut rifled barrel by one of the major custom barrel makers.

Ugh... I can see this gun stuff being not so cheap for me in the future.

And the OP has very little time behind a rifle. So does he need the supersport motor to start off with? And I know there might be a difference in accuracy but it is still a .22 and with bulk ammo it is pointless unless you are shooting match grade ammo. If he is looking to shoot maybe 12 times or less a year them I would say he does not need a green mnt, or whistlepig set up.

For the OP here is where you need to go for info on ALL .22lr good site for info.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

I tried that. Keeps slipping out of my hands when I squeeze it too hard. ;)

:lol:

Seriously though, the OP is overthinking this. .22s are cheap fun. You can't go wrong. And if you do go wrong, sell it and try again. The only rimfire rifle I have left is my grandfather's WWII-era Winchester bolt-action trainer. That barrel is so long and thick (like Kawi, I hear) that subsonic rounds sound like a bb gun shot.

Edited by C-bus

Seriously though, the OP is overthinking this. .22s are cheap fun. You can't go wrong. And if you do go wrong, sell it and try again. The only rimfire rifle I have left is my grandfather's WWII-era Winchester bolt-action trainer. That barrel is so long and thick (like Kawi, I hear) that subsonic rounds sound like a bb gun shot.

:banana:

One of the things that has been mentioned but you guys seem to be skipping over and figure I could throw my 2cents worth at it. The extra parts and aftermarket for the 10/22. Sure it has been mentioned that there is a large aftermarket support but the real reason behind why this makes the 10/22 a better purchase in my eyes is this.

It is all about the options. You are buying your first rifle (for some people) and you want a good reliable gun that will shoot accurately with any ammo. The 10/22 can do this just as well as any other brand and the base model guns are all roughly the same price.

2-3 years down the road you start getting bored with it this is where the Ruger design pays off. Any other manufacturer there is none or very limited aftermarket so you are stuck with what you first purchased, you can like the gun for it's shortcomings or you will end up selling it at a loss. With the 10/22 it can be upgraded to any level you want to fix any of the features you find you don't like with it. The gun can be modified to grow with your skill level. You have options that run from simple stuff, stock or barrel change ($250 for a stock/barrel combo), all the way up to Olympic level match rifles.(better than $1500)

It is the same concept that has been used with the AR-15 platform for years now. And I am sure you have seen tricked out AR-15's before. It is a more modular design that can be updated and upgraded cheaply to suit the individual owners needs just like the 10/22's design allows.

For the question on lube. That gets just as divided in the gun world as it does for engine oil in bikes. :rolleyes: Personally I use Break Free CLP on my bolt actions, my Ruger MKII pistol and the shotgun. All the other semi-auto's (both pistol and rifle) I use a calcium based white grease on the moving parts.

Edited by vf1000ride

Do he hears ? ? ?

Speedytriple.

Youre the one that is making a mountain out of a mole hill. The op asked for options and opinions and thats what he got. Yes he can go buy a $50 .22 and have fun with it or he can go buy a $200 model and have fun with it and have the ability to make changes down the road IF HE CHOOSES to. Options my friend Options. Its his choice, we are just explaining his future options because he doesnt have the experience while others on here do.

From your standpoint, your current car/house/bike will last you the rest of your life because there will never be a need or a want to upgrade.. Do you still wear your underwear from 3rd grade? Im guessing no because you outgrew them.. Same concept.

People are just educating him on ALL his possible options.

True flounder I was trying to give him insight on all 22lr not just the 10/22. Everyone kept saying just buy a 10/22 and be done was just suggesting other OPTIONS. Not trying to start a oil thread here.

No worries. I figured as much.. All in good fun of spirited conversations. ;)

Bought the 10/22 this morning. Probably paid a few bucks more than necessary by going to dick's but less than I was seeing online.

So far the only think I don't like about it is that the key to the bolt lock is "made in china."