bolt action v. semi auto

redkow97

So chevy you gonna start having the shoots in your back yard next spring?

I don't think the neighbors or police would appreciate us firing in my backyard seeing as I living right in town. But, I'll have to talk to my dad. I usually go shoot on his 8 acres. He and I have actually been talking about designing a range. Putting up a deck to shoot from and digging the range out into the hill. I'll talk with him about having a few OR people out to shoot sometime.

does this mean I can't use brass jacketed ammo? No hollow-points either? From Stonewall's range rules page:

"All rifle ammo will be inspected. Soft point or lead round nose only. No steel core, armor piercing or full metal jackets."

I might drop in there just to see what they sell on sight and then buy there to be safe. $20/hour is pricey though. Maybe they'll only charge the handgun rate for a .22?

The bulk stuff works fine in my rifle. I use the federal bulk it has the copper jacketed bullet. They feed nice and are only kinda dirty. Mini mags are nice but cost more. Thunder bolts are dirty and have more fail to fires. The dyna point bulk ammo is nice also feed well and shoots better then most bulk ammo.

well I want to buy a range bag for it anyway, so I'm going to stop by after work and talk to them. Bad34 was saying that there's 1 cranky staffer, but everyone else is pretty cool.

"hi, I'd like to buy one of your overpriced bags, possibly some ammunition, and patronize your range regularly when it's warm enough to store my rifle in the trunk of my car while I'm at work" should make them happy, but cranky is cranky :p

Stopped in, bought my range bag, and had a quick chat with the Stonewall staff. Their bulk ammo prices are about $10 a box higher than Walmart, which I stopped by later. I'm officially armed and dangerous :p

Man was Stonewall busy! I don't think there was a wait for range stalls, but they were definitely close to full, with most stalls being shared.

I overheard one guy paying $139 for his range time and ammo. Totally justified purchasing a .22 for me. ha. He couldn't have been there more than a couple hours, so over $100 of that was ammo...

definitely planning on it. My uncle/cousin have a small arsenal of guns that I'm supposedly welcome to borrow.

Wish I had my own land outside Cuyahoga county... The thrift store I went to the other day had "all TV's $5."

any recommendations on the high capacity magazines? Particular brand to use or avoid?

the internets tell me to just buy multiple of the stock ruger 10-round mags. You can get them for about $15 each if you buy in pairs. Seems reasonable.

For mags the Ruger 10 round ones with the steel feed lips can't be beat. They can be taken apart and cleaned and the spring tension for the rotor inside it can be adjusted as the spring gets older. You can also replace the spring if it comes to that. For Hi-cap mags I have used some of the 50 round stick mags (believe Ram Line) with the body colored plastic feed lips and can say that of the 4 I owned all had worn out within 3-4 thousand rounds (each) of ammo. The feed lips wear out and you will start to have all kinds of function problems. I have no personal experience with the hot-lips or steel-lips branded Butler Creek stuff, maybe it's better quality.

The ones I had all went into the trash back while the ASW ban was in effect. Who would have know that would expire and they would start making them again, I could have gotten warranty on the darn things.:cry::mad: