bolt action v. semi auto

redkow97

BOOM. Aren't these illegal (to load) in Ohio?

The only place I can find anything relating to a Hi-cap mag in Ohio is one statement from the revised code relating to crimes.

ORC 2921.11 E states Quote:

(E) "Automatic firearm" means any firearm designed or specially adapted to fire a succession of cartridges with a single function of the trigger. "Automatic firearm" also means any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading, other than a firearm chambering only .22 caliber short, long, or long-rifle cartridges.

Basically says that the .22 caliber guns are exempt from that classification. Don't know how that effects guys with the 50-75rnd drums for the AK's and AR-15's though. The 50rnd hi-cap mags for the 10-22 should still be legal unless I am missing something.

^ some say if you register it as an nfa gun for your sbr it would make it legal under state law because that would put your sbr centerfire rifle in the classification of 'dangerous ordinance' .

.22 is gtg

RC 2923.17 Unlawful Possession of a Dangerous Ordnance

(A) No person shall knowingly acquire, have, carry, or use any dangerous ordnance.

(D) Whoever violates division (A) of this section is guilty of unlawful possession of dangerous ordnance, a felony of the fifth degree.

RC 2323.11 Weapons Control Definitions

(E) “Automatic firearm” means any firearm designed or specially adapted to fire a succession of cartridges with a single function of the trigger. “Automatic firearm” also means any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading, other than a firearm chambering only .22 caliber short, long, or long-rifle cartridges.

(K) “Dangerous ordnance” means any of the following, except as provided in division (L) of this section:

(1) Any automatic or sawed-off firearm, zip-gun, or ballistic knife;

I just overheard the range guy saying something about him being able to SELL 50 rd mags, but they were like fireworks; you can buy them, but you can't use (load) them in Ohio. 30 or 33 is the legal limit (again, according to what I overheard the range guy say)

What I wondered about (law student reflex) is if loading 10 rounds into the 50 round mag is still illegal, or if it's that 34th bullet that makes it illegal. I think of the magazine round limit in the same manner as a speed limit - you're not to exceed 65mph on the highway; but that doesn't mean you can't have a vehicle CAPABLE of 150. It's USING it beyond the expressed limit that constitutes the crime; not having the potential.

...at least that's how I'd try to argue it if the NRA were footing the bill.

I'm thinking the ruger 10 round mags are good enough. I'll start off with the one, and then buy 2-4 more when the weather gets nice enough to shoot outside.

How often do I need to clean the rifle and magazines anyway? Every 100 rounds? every 500? Any time the gun is going to sit in my closet for a month?

i haven't bought any kind of cleaning kit.

ORC 2921.11 E states Quote:

(E) "Automatic firearm" means any firearm designed or specially adapted to fire a succession of cartridges with a single function of the trigger. "Automatic firearm" also means any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading, other than a firearm chambering only .22 caliber short, long, or long-rifle cartridges.

From this, I would think the mag would make the firearm illegal as soon as the mag is inserted into the firearm, no matter how many cartridges are loaded into it, which is the answer I've gotten any time I've asked anyone, although I've never asked anyone of authority on the matter.

all depends on whether there's case law on it. I'm sure there is, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

If it's a case of first impression in Ohio, my argument might work. But you're right on what the wording suggests - the argument would be based on whether or not the magazine constitutes "specially adapted."

better just to not get caught.

I wanna shoot shit.

Brain I guess they are voting on weather of not to allow shooting all the crows on Monday. Tuesday we should know if we can open fire on the court square haha

NO SHIT!!!! I have been wanting to rid this hole of those damn things. are we going to be limited to. 22s or can I bust out the 12ga and bring down 4-5 at a time lol

I just overheard the range guy saying something about him being able to SELL 50 rd mags, but they were like fireworks; you can buy them, but you can't use (load) them in Ohio. 30 or 33 is the legal limit (again, according to what I overheard the range guy say)

What I wondered about (law student reflex) is if loading 10 rounds into the 50 round mag is still illegal, or if it's that 34th bullet that makes it illegal. I think of the magazine round limit in the same manner as a speed limit - you're not to exceed 65mph on the highway; but that doesn't mean you can't have a vehicle CAPABLE of 150. It's USING it beyond the expressed limit that constitutes the crime; not having the potential.

M understanding is you cannot load one bullet into it and/or insert it into the weapon. At least that's what the general consensus on many gun forums is.

just got back from the range about an hour ago. Put at least 200 rounds through my 10 22, and I'm pretty pleased with how accurate I was at 75 feet (max range at Stonewall).

Their ammo restrictions prevented us from shooting my friend's AR-15, so we were just handing my rifle back and forth.

The only thing I wish I'd done differently is buy an additional factory magazine so one of us could have been loading while the other was shooting, and I was an idiot and forgot to buy gun oil and a cleaning snake before we left. <facepalm>

I'm thinking the Dick's at parmatown should have the cleaning supplies, and another magazine, and will pick them up before the end of the weekend :D

I bought a second 10-round (ruger) mag to have another reliable low-capacity mag around. Over-priced at Dick's, but Cabela's shipping would have made the price even, so having it today is worth the extra couple bucks.

I'll pick up a couple 25 or 30 round mags when it warms up, or i have more cash sitting around. For now though, it's nice to just have a second 10-round for someone else to load while I shoot.

I'm already shopping scopes, which are surprisingly reasonable for the distances a .22 can actually hit. But the scope mounts are like $25. WTF? for a couple metal brackets? bogus...

anyone got a used scope they want to get rid of for cheap?

I would recommend the Bushnell stuff also. I have had 4 of their scopes over the years and have never had trouble with any of them. I currently have the Banner model 71-3948, a 3-9x40mm. It is on my 10-22, they normally retail for $90 but I got it at Vance's last year when they where on sale for under $60. If you wanted something a little less expensive you could try Bushnell's .22 line of scopes, they have a 3-9x32mm that comes with rings for somewhere in the $50 range. (model 762239)

Scopes to stay away from, by personal experience the BSA scopes are not worth spending cash on. My BSA scope had been back for repair 3 times in the first 2 years I had it. The thing just would not hold it's settings. You could spend the day at the range and have the scope move by 3-4 inches over the course of 60 rounds. It was terrible.

Vortex Optics

Bushnell

Nikon

etc etc are good.

I would suggest spending a few more $ then 25.. A variable power 3-9x is good for what you will be using it for.

No BSA, Tasco, Countersniper, NCStar, Leapers,

Just remember. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!!!!

Edited by flounder