bolt action v. semi auto

redkow97

I've got a 3-9x Leupold that I'll part with for $100. I think it was $250+ new. Barely used. I had it on my 30-30 before I asked myself WTF was I doing with a scope on a lever gun. It's only seen fresh air on one hunt.

Edited by C-bus

well, scopes and scope rings are going to cost more than I anticipated, but I'm going to hold off on making a purchase for a few months anyway.

In motorcycle terms, buying a scope at this stage would be like installing a power commander, full exhaust, and woodcraft rearsets without really RIDING the bike first.

I think my money is better spent on range time and ammo for the time being. that will get me proficient at shooting with open sights in the 50-75 ft range, and allow me to buy a couple high capacity magazines before the weather gets good.

when the time comes, these rings have gotten positive reviews http://theconsumerlink.com/product_detail.asp?BID=Millett&T1=TCL+DT00701&navStart=0&.

and they're supposed to work with the rails that came with my 10/22

When it comes to scopes, I think the big question is whether I want to go with a standard 4x, or pay more for something that's adjustable from 3-7x. I think the answer is yes, but we shall see :D

well, scopes and scope rings are going to cost more than I anticipated, but I'm going to hold off on making a purchase for a few months anyway.

In motorcycle terms, buying a scope at this stage would be like installing a power commander, full exhaust, and woodcraft rearsets without really RIDING the bike first.

I think my money is better spent on range time and ammo for the time being. that will get me proficient at shooting with open sights in the 50-75 ft range, and allow me to buy a couple high capacity magazines before the weather gets good.

when the time comes, these rings have gotten positive reviews http://theconsumerlink.com/product_detail.asp?BID=Millett&T1=TCL+DT00701&navStart=0&.

and they're supposed to work with the rails that came with my 10/22

When it comes to scopes, I think the big question is whether I want to go with a standard 4x, or pay more for something that's adjustable from 3-7x. I think the answer is yes, but we shall see :D

If this is your first gun, get good at using iron sites before buying a scope.

Im not even going to comment on the fact that you think $100-$200 for scope and rings is expensive.

The cost for the rings alone that I will be using on my scope on my new build are around $200

I introduce you to the best rings ever made. FACT! but these are not needed for your particular application.

http://americanrifle.com/scope_rings/default.asp

MainScope-Gen2.jpg

Edited by flounder

I can't bring myself to throw a bunch of cash at a $225 rifle.

if this were a bolt action .270, or even a .223, I'd be more inclined to spend a lot on it - but it's not.

I'd like to be able to hit beer cans up to 200 yard, but that's going to take time, money, and practice. THEN maybe i'll see the value in spending more on my scope than my rifle.