Kasich May Privatize Liquor Control Agency

Jst2fst

When the state privatizes it pays the companies that take over with taxes. It doesn't create jobs it destroys them. Prisons for example how can a company "business" make money without a profit making product. A private prison comes in charges the state "x" amount of dollars per employee but pays said employee a lot less. Also the private companies have shitty benefits. Top out pay for CCA (corrections corporation America) is 13 dollars an hour after 20+ years of service. Starting pay is less than a lot of fast food restaurants. Do you really want the kid working the drive through window making sure those crazy rapist murders don't get out? If you think cutting law enforcement fire and corrections budgets is good, I hope your family gets raped by a nut case that burns your house with you in it crippling you. Then the fire department takes forever to get there due to poor equipment. The cops don't find the guy for years then after they do he escapes from prison due to underpaid officers not caring. Bet you would have wished the quality of law enforcement + fire and corrections was better.

Corrections is not law enforcement or fire rescue. I would never advocate privatization of those services. We've nearly totally privatized waste management, road construction, airport security and the list goes on. I will admit that I am not an expert on corrections, but the union-mentality worker's rights bullshit doesn't hold water in a debate with me. Jobs are created because a service is neeed, not to provide work, pensions, and overtime pay. I don't have any skin in the corrections argument and could be swayed by reasonable debate.

privatized prison systems always make me think of this story

I also remember reading where the private prison lobby has spent a bunch of time and money trying to keep pot illegal so they can keep their honeypot rolling.

On the negative side, the government is broke. The state run stores make money for the state. But the state needs to trade the steady flow of income for a big lump of quick cash. Selling off the future for the immediate, but right now, there isn't much choice.

On the positive side, the state run stores don't generage nearly the positive cash flow they could because the burocracy is bloated with all the extra patronage jobs created to payoff the campaign supporters. Making it private will at least slow that down although I imagine the winning bidder will owe some big debts to his government benefactors.

Corrections is not law enforcement or fire rescue. I would never advocate privatization of those services. We've nearly totally privatized waste management, road construction, airport security and the list goes on. I will admit that I am not an expert on corrections, but the union-mentality worker's rights bullshit doesn't hold water in a debate with me. Jobs are created because a service is neeed, not to provide work, pensions, and overtime pay. I don't have any skin in the corrections argument and could be swayed by reasonable debate.

How can you say corrections isnt law enforcement? Police catch people and enforce laws by sending said people to court. At court a judge enforces laws by sentencing people. The worst of criminals are sentenced to prison. Without corrections this cannot happen. Therefore the most important laws can't be enforced.

How much would it cost for you to risk your life a minimum of 40hrs a week, telling felons what to do? Just because they are in prison doesn't mean they quit breaking laws and are well behaved. Contrary to popular belief they are out of their cells most of the day. The state needs to do away with dumb policies that cost money. The problem isn't in the labor. It's in the policies that dictate spending. We pay the inmates. WTF is up with that? When buying supplies the state can only get them from contracted suppliers who charge crazy amounts of money for stuff. Inmate health care is insane they pay $3 for anything they need done. The state covers the bill. Think about the cost 1 aids patient costs the state. The list goes on.

How can you say corrections isnt law enforcement? Police catch people and enforce laws by sending said people to court. At court a judge enforces laws by sentencing people. The worst of criminals are sentenced to prison. Without corrections this cannot happen. Therefore the most important laws can't be enforced.

How much would it cost for you to risk your life a minimum of 40hrs a week, telling felons what to do? Just because they are in prison doesn't mean they quit breaking laws and are well behaved. Contrary to popular belief they are out of their cells most of the day. The state needs to do away with dumb policies that cost money. The problem isn't in the labor. It's in the policies that dictate spending. We pay the inmates. WTF is up with that? When buying supplies the state can only get them from contracted suppliers who charge crazy amounts of money for stuff. Inmate health care is insane they pay $3 for anything they need done. The state covers the bill. Think about the cost 1 aids patient costs the state. The list goes on.

My intent was not to minimize what a CO does. It is dangerous and is a very necessary job. What is the pay/benefits difference between private and state-run prisons? When a prison is privatized, do they term everyone and then hire back at new rates? Does the union change or become null/void? These are actually questions... I'm not trying to make any points.

My intent was not to minimize what a CO does. It is dangerous and is a very necessary job. What is the pay/benefits difference between private and state-run prisons? When a prison is privatized, do they term everyone and then hire back at new rates? Does the union change or become null/void? These are actually questions... I'm not trying to make any points.

The union is gone once privatization comes in. The current employees may get a job offer but may not. The pay cut could be anywhere between 4-10 dollars per hour. Most will probably just jump on unemployment and look for a new job. The corrections officers pay a lot into taxes. Cutting pay results in less taxes being payed. It's a band-aid fix where stitches are required. The new governor worked for Lehman (sp) brothers a business that failed. Now he wants to run a state as a business. Sounds dumb to me. The only people who are going to benefit from his plans are rich business men.

The union is gone once privatization comes in. The current employees may get a job offer but may not. The pay cut could be anywhere between 4-10 dollars per hour. Most will probably just jump on unemployment and look for a new job. The corrections officers pay a lot into taxes. Cutting pay results in less taxes being payed. It's a band-aid fix where stitches are required. The new governor worked for Lehman (sp) brothers a business that failed. Now he wants to run a state as a business. Sounds dumb to me. The only people who are going to benefit from his plans are rich business men.

You are much closer to this issue than I am. Just be aware of where your info comes from. The biggest financial loss here is to the rich millionaires running that union on your dues. If you think the parking lot at Lehman Brothers had some cars, go see your national headquarters. Regardless ... good luck to you and stay safe.

Ever hear someone cheer about getting that "city job" or "state job " or "county job"? Great benefits. Wait a second.....who's paying for those? That, my friend, is what people mean by inefficient. When a private-sector entity doesn't make money, they evaluate their efficiency and re-think costs and business strategy. When a public-sector entity isn't paying the bills, they take more money from you and me. Pension? What's that?

I happen to have one of those city jobs that I EARNED by going to school, keeping myself in shape, passing civil service exams and placing first. I pay my 10% contribution into the Ohio Police and Fire Pension Fund, which I might remind you is tho ONLY fully funded pension in the state. I worked in the private sector in EMS for 10 years, and I understand how much it sucks to not have a pension set up for you, and working for pennies with a college degree. I did something about it rather than bitch about everyone that had it better than me.

I remember a certain president not too long ago that tried to do the "Let's run this country like a business" philosophy. He previously ran the Texas Rangers franchise into the ground, then sold it with the same philosophy.

You are much closer to this issue than I am. Just be aware of where your info comes from. The biggest financial loss here is to the rich millionaires running that union on your dues. If you think the parking lot at Lehman Brothers had some cars, go see your national headquarters. Regardless ... good luck to you and stay safe.

The union isn't perfect but the amount they take for my dues is minimal compared to what a private corrections company takes for themselves.

The union isn't perfect but the amount they take for my dues is minimal compared to what a private corrections company takes for themselves.

Amen.....Ask those boys that protect the Airport for Wackenhut what they make an hour to hang their ass out on the line. Then find out what the Feds pay the company.

I happen to have one of those city jobs that I EARNED by going to school, keeping myself in shape, passing civil service exams and placing first. I pay my 10% contribution into the Ohio Police and Fire Pension Fund, which I might remind you is tho ONLY fully funded pension in the state. I worked in the private sector in EMS for 10 years, and I understand how much it sucks to not have a pension set up for you, and working for pennies with a college degree. I did something about it rather than bitch about everyone that had it better than me.

Those are exactly the reasons why I went out of my way to exclude police and fire rescue (including medics). Hell, your investment in your training may be the difference between my life or death.

Its cool, I just have my panties in a bunch cause this jackhole has his eye on our pension because we have the money to pay the people back that served their communities.

He's not starting out on the right foot. I voted for him, but I'm starting to feel a little buyer's remorse.

If they privatize liquor control, are we talking just the liquor stores? Because it is so much more than that. The stores generate a ton of cash, and even more now that they are charging $1 for every credit card transaction, every check transaction etc. If they deregulate the stores, it will be like Maryland where there are stores on every corner. I don't see how they can privatize the agents though. The prisons already have privatized the commissary, and other services. I think they should quit building them nice buildings, and put them in tent cities like AZ does.

He's not starting out on the right foot. I voted for him, but I'm starting to feel a little buyer's remorse.

The Dispatch had several good articles about his agenda prior to the election that sold me on the lesser of two evils. Kasich, and Yost together will try to privatize everything in the state.

The Dispatch had several good articles about his agenda prior to the election that sold me on the lesser of two evils. Kasich, and Yost together will try to privatize everything in the state.

He needs to remember that it is still a public office that he holds. Not living in the governor's mansion, trying to have a private swearing, etc... Policy -wise, there is tons of waste if he looks under the right stones.

I don't disagree there. Have you seen the salary he is paying his staff? the one lady will make $43k more a year than the same position under Strickland. Sooooo we cut the waste from all of these programs to fund the salaries of the people who got me elected, or know something that could ruin my career.

• 1 year later...

Two Kasich related articles.

Turnpike will not be privatized: Gov. Kasich won’t lease Ohio Turnpike

And the one thing I thought I'd be able to count on a Republican to do, he won't:

Gov. Kasich spares the life of convicted killer Ronald Post

I forgot this 2011 pardon too: Gov. Kasich spares death row inmate

Edited by JRMMiii