Kasich May Privatize Liquor Control Agency

Jst2fst

I like it. Seems like it could create jobs, save the state money and possibly even add some tax revenue to the state. Though I'm guessing whoever gets the lucky designation will get some really good tax breaks

I like it. Seems like it could create jobs, save the state money and possibly even add some tax revenue to the state. Though I'm guessing whoever gets the lucky designation will get some really good tax breaks

I just wanna see how the people will view it and what sanctions would be in place with it not being run by the state. Given they would have to have someone from the state look over their shoulder to make sure things are a-okay

Deregulation... I duuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnooooo. I wanna see details. And the history on why it was regulated in the first place...

I would wage a guess this goes way back to prohibition era decisions

Deregulation... I duuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnooooo. I wanna see details. And the history on why it was regulated in the first place...

Privatization isn't synonymous with deregulation. I'd like details too, but the private sector may be a solid solution. Healthcare used to be privatized and was/is heavily regulated... "used to be" was sarcasm.

and private prisons to eh? great. people profiting off of locking people up. then they get the judges in their pocket and tell them to be "tough on crime" and send people up the river for every little thing, or they lobby the legislature for more mandatory sentencing.

if we want to save money, maybe we shouldnt lock up first time non violent offenders for victimless crimes.

im all for keeping murderers and rapists locked up, but IMO its kinda fucked up that if you possess 5 grams of crack (the weight of a nickel = about 100 dollars worth) you get a 5 year mandatory sentence, but to get that same 5 year mandatory sentence with powder cocaine you have to have 100 times that amount. 500 grams = 1.1 lbs = about $20,000 worth...

and private prisons to eh? great. people profiting off of locking people up. then they get the judges in their pocket and tell them to be "tough on crime" and send people up the river for every little thing, or they lobby the legislature for more mandatory sentencing.

if we want to save money, maybe we shouldnt lock up first time non violent offenders for victimless crimes.

im all for keeping murderers and rapists locked up, but IMO its kinda fucked up that if you possess 5 grams of crack (the weight of a nickel = about 100 dollars worth) you get a 5 year mandatory sentence, but to get that same 5 year mandatory sentence with powder cocaine you have to have 100 times that amount. 500 grams = 1.1 lbs = about $20,000 worth...

The government is vastly inefficient. Privatization works.

The government is vastly inefficient. Privatization works.

works for the executives and shareholders of the private prison corporation. not for the people or the state, or the DOC employees or the people incarcerated. are the people who are advocating these private prisons among the people who stand to benefit?

many studies have shown that private prisons are simply no more cost effective than public prisons.

I'm inventing numbers here but.... if it costs Ohio $200million to run some prisons today and they can offer the contract to the lowest bidder while setting minimum requirements around staffing, sanitation, nutrition, and general treatment of prisoners, how can we lose? As for John's previous statement about who we put in prison..... I agreement whole-heartedly. Prison should be reserved to those who have taken life or property, or have caused injury to another. LEGALIZE IT!!!

There are many states that have privatized prisons. It does generally cost the state less. Those prisons are also generally better run as it is a business.

Wait, you mean that a business that has to make a profit to survive and not rely on taxpayers can be more efficient?

Edited by kawi kid

And how many people with decent paying jobs, and pensions that they have paid into for years is it going to affect? Yep, lets take the liquor control jobs and give them to wal mart greeters.

Ever hear someone cheer about getting that "city job" or "state job " or "county job"? Great benefits. Wait a second.....who's paying for those? That, my friend, is what people mean by inefficient. When a private-sector entity doesn't make money, they evaluate their efficiency and re-think costs and business strategy. When a public-sector entity isn't paying the bills, they take more money from you and me. Pension? What's that?

Ever hear someone cheer about getting that "city job" or "state job " or "county job"? Great benefits. Wait a second.....who's paying for those? That, my friend, is what people mean by inefficient. When a private-sector entity doesn't make money, they evaluate their efficiency and re-think costs and business strategy. When a public-sector entity isn't paying the bills, they take more money from you and me. Pension? What's that?

Again spot on

When the state privatizes it pays the companies that take over with taxes. It doesn't create jobs it destroys them. Prisons for example how can a company "business" make money without a profit making product. A private prison comes in charges the state "x" amount of dollars per employee but pays said employee a lot less. Also the private companies have shitty benefits. Top out pay for CCA (corrections corporation America) is 13 dollars an hour after 20+ years of service. Starting pay is less than a lot of fast food restaurants. Do you really want the kid working the drive through window making sure those crazy rapist murders don't get out? If you think cutting law enforcement fire and corrections budgets is good, I hope your family gets raped by a nut case that burns your house with you in it crippling you. Then the fire department takes forever to get there due to poor equipment. The cops don't find the guy for years then after they do he escapes from prison due to underpaid officers not caring. Bet you would have wished the quality of law enforcement + fire and corrections was better.

• Upvote 1

There are many states that have privatized prisons. It does generally cost the state less. Those prisons are also generally better run as it is a business.

o rly?

In 1999, researchers at the University of Cincinnati analyzed 33 cost effectiveness evaluations of public and for-profit prisons from 24 independent studies. The results revealed that for-profit prisons were no more cost-effective than public prisons, and that other institutional characteristics such as the facility’s size, age and security level were the strongest predictors of a prison’s per diem cost.

In September 1999, Dennis Cunningham, private prison administrator, Oklahoma Department of Corrections, presented comparative cost data for public and for-profit prisons in Oklahoma at the 4th Annual Privatizing Correctional Facilities Conference. The analysis showed that, in 1999, the average cost of housing an inmate in a publicly run prison in the state ($41.57 per day) was less than the cost of housing an inmate at any of the for-profit prisons in the state.

Congress mandated the Attorney General to study correctional privatization, including an analysis of its cost effectiveness. The 1998 study concluded that available data do not provide strong evidence of any general pattern. Moreover, the conclusions about relative costs of public versus for-profit provision are based on a small and dated sample.

In 1998, the Tennessee Legislature compared the cost of having a for-profit company run one of its facilities with the cost of running two comparable state prisons. The study showed little difference in total costs between the three prisons. It did show, however, that CCA generated a 2 percent profit by paying its employees almost $2 million less in annual salaries and benefits than state employees.

The Florida State Office of Program Policy Analysis and Government Accountability (OPPAGA) conducted a cost comparison of the CCA-operated Bay Correctional Facility with the Lawtey State Prison for the 1996-97 fiscal year. The comparison showed that the per diem cost for Bay was $46.08 while the per diem for Lawtey was $45.98. The CCA-run facility cost the state of Florida 10¢ more per inmate day.

The United States General Accounting Office (GAO), the congressional watchdog agency, spent a full year examining operational costs at publicly and privately run prisons. The 1996 GAO report detected “little difference,” “mixed results,” and ultimately could not conclude whether privatization saved money.