Texas in November

Mynameismud

I haven't had a chance to do a report until now, so here you go. I left on Sunday morning "Thanksgiving week" and crossed into WV.

ry%3D480

Shortly after crossing into WV. I got off of the highway, turned right then left and continued this type of riding. After hitting KY,TN,VA I ended up in Ashville NC for the night. Here is a couple pics along the way.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

The next morning I headed into SC where I found a cool little covered bridge along the way.

ry%3D480

Then it was into GA for a stop off at the inlaws to do some hedge trimming, eat a sandwich and back on the road, but not before snapping this pic of an old mill of some sort.

ry%3D480

Nothing to see in AL until I got to...

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Not enough time to see it all, what I saw of it "100 mile" took four hours. Back on the road heading SW.

ry%3D480

I made it to Texas on day three, stayed in Jasper then up and gone by day break at 70 degrees.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

This was a bit of a disappointment.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

So after this stop I was enroute to my destination, Austin TX. 82 degrees, 60 mph gusts and I see a sign for Texas A&M. It is a 40 mile detour but hey, my wife went there I got to swing through and take some pics since she is on a plane to the same destination.

ry%3D480

I left the campus and arrived at the lake house after 1698.2 miles. The NT did great for one up, comfort and handeling I have no complaints.

We walked passed the TX Capitol on the way to the Aggies and Horns game which the Aggies won.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

The return trip was 1348 miles of slab. I left on Saturday morning after Thanksgiving. Austin TX 7am 30 degrees. I stayed in West Memphis AK on the way home. Day two of the return I left at 06:30 at 20 degrees. I arrived back in New Concord at 7pm and 30 degrees. All in all, the bike was great, food was good and the beer was cold.

• Upvote 1

Sigh.. I was hoping for more than "the bike was great"... :lol:

I want to hear moar about the bike.

The bike is great, it's no crotch rocket but it's got pleanty of torque, built in storage, 55MPG "over 200 miles to a tank", handles like a crotch rocket, comfortable saddle, adjustable wind screen and after installing tunes and heated grips I think it's the total package, I love it. If you want to take it out youre more than welcome.:D

Hmm... I was going to leave my Yamaha FZ6' date=' but I could leave my wife, dog, 2 cats and FZ6 if you promise that you'll never come looking for me.[/quote']The FZ6 is welcome, however the wife, cat and dog department is at overload already. Depending where youre going for a week, I may go with you.

I didn't know we had ags on the forum? Howdy and gig em!

Man I would love to ride to Texas sometime during the summer with some folks. Born and raised in Austin...not sure if ORDN could handle all that is downtown Austin though.

Howdy Damn it and Keep Austin weird, gotta love them T-shirts. My wife is an Aggie, I come from hard knocks university.:D I do like the trips there for the County Line and Salt Lick BBQ.

Speaking of creepy... I just looked up New Concord on the GoogleMaps. It's right next to some of my favorite roads. I may let you tag along' date=' yet.[/quote']You didn't already know where New Concord is? Are you from Ohio?:lol: I am actually planning a trip to Texas in May, VA in July and Glacier National Park for June. I think that should just about take care of my vacation time til Elk season.

My sis and bro in law live in New Concord (off of Maple Brook Road - just west of the crooked bridge or whatever the fuck it's called.)

Spent more time in that town than I care to remember.:D

I toured England, Scotland and Ireland on a Honda Deauville - the older, 650 version of your bike. Little bugger did a fine job of hauling my fat ass all over the place for three weeks. Nice little scooter.

I'll have to give you a yell next time I'm over that way. Almost always briong a bike with me when we go over there -the wife drives and I ride over. Go there about 7-8 times per year.

Where in VA are you going? I have a few roads I wanna hit down there this year. Haven't been there for awhile and Route 17 near Tazewell is calling my name.

We did Glacier a couple of years ago - would love to go back there as well.

I knew it sounded familiar. All those cow towns look the same to me. Besides' date=' I don't usually stop unless I need fuel or have to make a toilet. Tpoppa, my wife and I were just discussing some 2011 overnight rides into eastern WV this year. Nothing too crazy, but prolly average 500 miles a day on the twisty stuff. I don't know... Lyns and I are good riders, but Tpoppa is a damn mile chomping maniac. Hopefully, that new 1125R will keep him dialed back to <500 a day.

My poor ass just can't take the Tpoppa pounding. :eek:[/quote']500 mile days are long if you are on three digit roads, which I prefer for stopping for historical photo ops but on the slab thats not too bad.

Yeah.. we don't care for the super slab too much. I like 400 mile rides. That way I have time to eat.. and stuff. :lol:
All kidding aside, southern WV is the best ride that is less than a day away and once you get down around NRG you never want to leave. Makes for a great weekend get away.

My sis and bro in law live in New Concord (off of Maple Brook Road - just west of the crooked bridge or whatever the fuck it's called.)

Spent more time in that town than I care to remember.:D

I toured England, Scotland and Ireland on a Honda Deauville - the older, 650 version of your bike. Little bugger did a fine job of hauling my fat ass all over the place for three weeks. Nice little scooter.

I'll have to give you a yell next time I'm over that way. Almost always briong a bike with me when we go over there -the wife drives and I ride over. Go there about 7-8 times per year.

Where in VA are you going? I have a few roads I wanna hit down there this year. Haven't been there for awhile and Route 17 near Tazewell is calling my name.

We did Glacier a couple of years ago - would love to go back there as well.

Hell yeah look me up when your in town. I am not sure where we will be in VA yet, Road Runner Mag is having some sort of sport tour rally.

Texas in May..... I was thinking about heading down sometime this year. Probably not untill late fall. My brrother lives about 3 hours west of san antonio. Not to far from 3 sisters roads. But all there roads are quite fun to drive. I'm thinking about doing all the big bend roads while down.

Hell yeah look me up when your in town. I am not sure where we will be in VA yet, Road Runner Mag is having some sort of sport tour rally.

I saw that in RR Mag - never been to one of their events before although I've subscribed to the mag since it came out.

Will give ya a yell when I get over that next summer.

Texas in May..... I was thinking about heading down sometime this year. Probably not untill late fall. My brrother lives about 3 hours west of san antonio. Not to far from 3 sisters roads. But all there roads are quite fun to drive. I'm thinking about doing all the big bend roads while down.
You will be within 100 miles of Austin, if you have never been to the Salt lick or the County Line, you must treat yourself.