Take a stab at fixing the federal budget

Casper

This boils down to another ideological difference, it's just that simple -- there's evidence to support both sides (yea, it's wiki, but it has cites)

Progressive tax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I, as I stated, side with the majority of economists.

So, while you can argue the "stealing" aspect, it's not really analogous to that when you consider the social, economic, and political ramifications of a flat tax.

Don't tell this to Kristen! If you do she will kick in you in the Dick and tell you that she busted her ass through sever years of school, got three degrees and deserves every penny she makes.

Actually I will give you $20 if you tell her to her face that she deserves to pay more taxes than somebody else because she is more fortunate.

oh...i see the Father of Communism supported progressive taxation.

So obviously everyone that has a good idea that may be shared with Karl Marx was a communist. Interesting...

Don't tell this to Kristen! If you do she will kick in you in the Dick and tell you that she busted her ass through sever years of school, got three degrees and deserves every penny she makes.

Actually I will give you $20 if you tell her to her face that she deserves to pay more taxes than somebody else because she is more fortunate.

Is the $20 before or after taxes? She's not the only member of the three degrees club...

So obviously everyone that has a good idea that may be shared with Karl Marx was a communist. Interesting...

Is the $20 before or after taxes? She's not the only member of the three degrees club...

either, I would love to see the conversation where you tell her she should pay more taxes than the less fortunate. I bet Ben would chip in another $20

From the same article:

An argument along similar lines has also been advocated by Ali ibn Abi Talib, the first Shi'a Imam and fourth Caliph of the Islamic empire; in his letter to the Governor of Egypt, Malik al-Ashtar. He writes:

“ If the tax-payers complain to you of the heavy incidence to taxation, of any accidental calamity, of the vagaries of the monsoons, of the recession of the means of irrigation, of floods or destruction of their crops on account of excessive rainfall and if their complaints are true, then reduce their taxes. This reduction should be such that it provides them opportunities to improve their conditions and eases them of their troubles. Decrease in State-income due to such reasons should not depress you because the best investment for a ruler is to help his subjects at the time of their difficulties. They are the real wealth of a country and any investment on them even in the form of reduction of taxes, will be returned to the State in the shape of the prosperity of its cities and improvement of the country at large. At the same time you will be in a position to command and secure their love, respect and praises along with the revenues.

Taxes should go down in times of troubles for the people is the theory. Our govt is trying to raise taxes and has been ever since the recession started. I'm thinking it's a lot easier to do when everybody has a different rate of taxes. As a bonus you get to play the class envy card as well.

A flat tax would make them (the govt) feel our (the people's) pain right away. The difference is that when they tried to raise taxes they would then piss everybody off at the same time. They might even get voted out of office for making bad decisions, imagine that....

Edited by Strictly Street