Electrical drain??

max power

Something is draining my battery on my Warrior. I have a good ground and the battery holds a steady 12.5 volts with the key on. The battery tested good with a load tester at the Pony.

Still have the carb off til tomorrow, so I havent had a chance to test the draw with it running.

Does anybody know how to definitively test the charging system? I have a sinking feeling it is toast.

Check voltage with it off. Then check voltage with it running. Will be higher if charging when running....You know this?

Yeah, I know. I guess I'm trying to figure out how to test the stator and pick up coils. It pretty much has to be one of these, but I havent proven to myself that I have a charging issue yet since I have the carb off. Putting it back on tomorrow after work and once I get it running right, I'll test the charge.

12.5v is low, I think. I'd expect 14.5v a good charge on a good battery.

I just checked three batteries sitting here. I get 14v in the bike battery and the car battery, and 15v in the bike battery I just charged.

I'd check the stator output, if the battery is good.

A short draining the battery is also possible, but you'd see lower voltage the next day.

It's odd the battery was dead after being on the trickle charger. I can't remember how you check those. other than it's measuring ohms.
12.5v is low, I think. I'd expect 14.5v a good charge on a good battery.

I just checked three batteries sitting here. I get 14v in the bike battery and the car battery, and 15v in the bike battery I just charged.

I'd check the stator output, if the battery is good.

A short draining the battery is also possible, but you'd see lower voltage the next day.

It tested good at the pony today, and is less than a year old, but I suppose it could still be bad. I'll try it with the Wolverine's battery tomorrow.

I did a continuity test on the Neg. wire. I had continuity everywhere and the wire is clean and corrosion free. Cleaned all pos. wire connections.

It tested good at the pony today, and is less than a year old, but I suppose it could still be bad. I'll try it with the Wolverine's battery tomorrow.

I did a continuity test on the Neg. wire. I had continuity everywhere and the wire is clean and corrosion free. Cleaned all pos. wire connections.

check continuity across the battery leads, key off, battery out.

Just to eliminate the possibility of a short.

I'm assuming there isn't a clock, of course.

check continuity across the battery leads, key off, battery out.

Just to eliminate the possibility of a short.

I'm assuming there isn't a clock, of course.

did that, no continuity. This is what leads me to guess that I have a charging issue.

Gump, did you say you had to jump it right off, or did it run for a while then die and need jumped?

I had to go look it up again...

The max charge on a 12v battery is 15.1v, and will show 14.5v when the charger is removed. It will quickly drop to 13.5v, and then slowly drop to 12.5v, and need charging again.

Each of the 6 cells will sustain a 2.1v for a total of 12.6v

So if I had a battery that dropped quickly to around 12.5v, when I expected one or two volts more, I'd suspect that one of the 2v cells was bad. I've had them do that and go bad on new car batteries.

Edited by ReconRat

Yeah, I know. I guess I'm trying to figure out how to test the stator and pick up coils.

There isn't one test for everything but the voltage test is close. In addition to that: you'll want to test resistance the wires coming from the stator and the field coils to ground and each other. You'll get infinite resistance when testing to each other (if I remember correctly) and nothing to ground. If you don't get infinite on any of the tests, then whatever your testing is bad.

You'll also want to check the regulator and/or rectifier if you have them, in the same way.

After that, it becomes a game of find the gremlin.

i think its for his atv not a motorcycle

crap, that's what I thought... but it being 2am to 4am, I'm not required to think straight...

let's look again...

Yamaha YFM350 Raptor/Warrior ('87-Present) service manual w/ CA supplement (320pg)

[ame]http://rapidshare.com/files/47948326/Warrior.pdf[/ame]

or

http://www.mediafire.com/?pjsdfaex5xodima

Edited by ReconRat

Are you going out and starting the bike to run it during winter? That will pull load on a bike's battery and the bike's charging system is doing nothing to maintain the charge.

Same with the ATV. A lot of farmers would start their ATVs and slowly ride to another barn or something and take maybe 3-5 minutes of total running time and they'd come to the shop all upset the battery keeps going dead. You really need to use the bike or ATV at working speeds and maintain a certain RPM and higher to get the charging system to function.

Just asking as you may already know this, but during winter, I find a lot of guys go out and run their bikes because they think they should... They shouldn't...