FJR @ 100k!

the_silverfox

Alrighty, it's official! Hit the 100k mark on the FJR's odometer tonight at Easton. It was a very clear night to ride and I'm hoping this weather keeps up for a while.

picture.php?albumid=1118&pictureid=13248&thumb=1

I wanted to hit the six-digits by the end of 2010, but ice and snow (grr Ohio) put me 600 miles short of that. :mad: That's what a couple dry, thawed-out days in January and warming trend in February is for! Next order of business for the bike is an oil change and a bath...perhaps some new tires too. It's still running just fine with standard maintenance! :D

The fun stats:

Mile 1: Los Angeles, CA (April 26, 2007) - she was delivered to me at work and I rode her right out of the parking lot

Mile 10000: Minneapolis, MN (July 13, 2007)

Mile 20000: San Francisco, CA (December 25, 2007)

Mile 33333: La Habra, CA (June 3, 2008)

Mile 54321: Irvine, CA (February, 15, 2009)

Mile 85000: Niagara Falls, ON, Canada (May 31, 2010)

Mile 90000: Westerville, OH (August 8, 2010)

Mile 100000: Columbus, OH (February 18, 2010)

It took 1394 days (3 years, 9 months, 23 days) to hit the big 100k mark. Looking forward for many more to go!

Here's some other milestones to add.

States crossed: 39 (still missing WA, OR, MT, WI, GA, FL, AL, MS, LA)

Countries visited: 2

Longest Round-trip Ride: 6200 miles (LA/Columbus/Kerville, TX/Roswell, NM/LAX)

Longest Single-day Ride: 1098 miles (August 2010 - Columbus, OH to Spartanburg, SC and back - Iron Butt SaddleSore 1000)

I like how the pic was taken at 10:00. That's awesome though, you should think about writing a book :)

Yeah, I saw that, too. I call photoshop! :lol:

Seriously though, that's a LOT of miles! It took me a long time to put that many miles on the cage, even before I bought the bike! At the rate you're going, you'll surpass the 200k mile F4i guy, although with him being in NC, he gets a much longer riding season.

Yeah, I saw that, too. I call photoshop! :lol:

Seriously though, that's a LOT of miles! It took me a long time to put that many miles on the cage, even before I bought the bike! At the rate you're going, you'll surpass the 200k mile F4i guy, although with him being in NC, he gets a much longer riding season.

Thanks everyone! And no, that's not Photoshop for the time/miles sync. Just got it in time for that photo last night. :)

I thought about the dude with the F4i, and props to him for hitting those milestones on that (that posture and position is something I could never do). It would be fun to catch up with him (and my odometer would actually show it rather than flip to 00000).

The biggest advantage I had to getting this many miles that quickly was having a 120-mile daily commute to work and back in CA and quite a few long, half-state weekend rides for almost 2.5 years. That's quite a bit more difficult here because my commute to work is short and since better job prospects are still crap, having the money to go out on weekend rides is not really in the picture. So to make up for that I just have "that one ridiculous big trip" to at least put a dent in my yearly totals now that I'm in Ohio. And despite my horrible wage situation, I still managed to get about 22k on it in 2010.

Doing some even more math on that, taking 1394 days to reach 100k averages me just under 72 miles a day. That's basically Columbus to Dayton one-way. I'm so glad I've had that Corbin seat for 98,800 of those miles. Yikes.

My car, a 2003 Subaru Outback (that I bought with exactly 18k on the odo in October 2004) reached 100k in late November 2010 so it took six years to hit that. That puts me averaging about 13.6k a year with the car, and that's only because I loaned the thing to a few of my friends because it wasn't being used. CA + cager = prisoner to the freeways. :p

Nice!.. had mine for over 5 yrs and only put 18k on it :( I'm such a slacker

Me = my only bike until 2008 and all that damn CA traffic to boot

You = quite a few bikes to spread the love! :) (I wish I had that kind of selection!)

Believe me, there are tons of '05 FJRs that don't even have that many miles. I'm just weird. :rolleyes:

Thats great. I am sure youve seen some amazing things on that bike. Keep it up.

I've seen more things than I've been able to photograph and write about. Here's how I got to the first 10,000 miles on this thing (it was cleaner back then): http://thesilverfox.pbworks.com/w/page/22151199/Christine%27s+21st+Annual+Women+on+Wheels+International+Ride-In+BLOG.

Amazing! Congrats!

Here's to another 100k!

WOW!!!!!!!!! That really is amazing. I wish you many more safe and fun filled miles.

Thanks! I'm making sure this FJR is sticking around for many years to come. So far, so good! No loss of power, no clutch slippage, no engine noises or issues. Yamaha did a great job with this bike.

I like how the pic was taken at 10:00. That's awesome though, you should think about writing a book :)

You know, that sounds like a nice idea. I've had more time lately and I've already written quite a bit about many of our adventures through the United States. I'll keep puddling through some of my drafts and see what I can do.

Iron butt, cool.

100K, awesome!

Yeah, had to do the Iron Butt...couldn't let Flying Brick be the only one with an "official" ride from IBA! I had to make up for the unofficial one I did in 2009 from Roswell, NM back to LAX, except that one ended with a trip to In-N-Out burger at midnight.

That is a heck of an acomplishment. 100k on an 07. Most o7 cars don't have that many miles.

There are days when I look at that odometer and amaze myself. The numbers just add up after a while but I had tons of fun while doing it.

I thought about the dude with the F4i, and props to him for hitting those milestones on that (that posture and position is something I could never do). It would be fun to catch up with him (and my odometer would actually show it rather than flip to 00000).

I never seriously thought you would even think about photochopping that pic, for the record!

Thirdgenlxi, with the 200k+ mile F4i is a FB friend of mine, and he's got his bike on a trailer right now, headed 700 mile away to do his first trackday.

Congrats silverfox,it's always good to see those high milage FJR's.I usually feel pretty good about my 12,000 mile a year average,but you make me feel like a fair weather rider,I only have 85,000 on my '04 FJR.

I'm always hunting for a good road,so what are some of the memorable rides you've been on in your travels?

The two that always comes to my mind...California Hwy 1 from Big Sur all the way to the Oregon border and the Beartooth Pass (US212 MT/WY).As for local rides...255,537,260 loop.

I never seriously thought you would even think about photochopping that pic, for the record!

Thirdgenlxi, with the 200k+ mile F4i is a FB friend of mine, and he's got his bike on a trailer right now, headed 700 mile away to do his first trackday.

That bike is a mile monger and the perfect bike to use on a track day. My beast is a boat compared to that thing! :)

Congrats silverfox,it's always good to see those high milage FJR's.I usually feel pretty good about my 12,000 mile a year average,but you make me feel like a fair weather rider,I only have 85,000 on my '04 FJR.

I'm always hunting for a good road,so what are some of the memorable rides you've been on in your travels?

The two that always comes to my mind...California Hwy 1 from Big Sur all the way to the Oregon border and the Beartooth Pass (US212 MT/WY).As for local rides...255,537,260 loop.

You can't go wrong with CA-1 Pacific Coast Highway whichever way you go. I would ride it from the South Bay/LA area and take it 13 hours straight North all the way to San Francisco, passing Santa Barbara, Monterey Bay, Cambria, and Santa Cruz among other places. More local rides included CA-2 Angeles Crest Highway to Wrightwood, Big Tujunga and Little Tujunga passes, and CA-39 in the San Gabriel Valley. For my lunch ride, I always enjoyed seeing the ocean via Palos Verdes Drive East on the roads in the Palos Verdes Peninsula. Other favorite routes included CA-78 and CA-79, backroads in Kern County, Palomar Mountain, Anza-Borrego State Park, and Yosemite. And that's just getting started.

Riding through South Dakota, I enjoyed the Badlands and Wall and eventually, the ride to Devil's Tower. To get to Yellowstone, I took US-16 but learned the hard way that it should be done during the day! Stupid deer. :o

I've done some riding through SE Ohio, the standard roads like 555, 676, etc. There's something about the scenery and beauty of those CA roads that Ohio roads will never touch, but that's my opinion.

If I get a chance to return to the Northeast states again, I want to ride through the Finger Lakes, upstate New York, and revisit Vermont. I still haven't done Blue Ridge Parkway and Natchez Trace yet but those will get crossed off eventually, when I can find an excuse to cross off Southeast states off my list.

Edited by the_silverfox