"The Ledge" Willis Tower

RSVDon

Over the weekend some friends and I went to visit the Chicago Auto Show and to enjoy some time off in a big city. The show was great and the night life in Wrigleyville ended up being quite amusing, but I hadn't been in Sears Tower in over a decade and two others in our group hadn't at all.

On sunday before we left, we decided to go up despite the weather and warnings of zero visibility on the SkyDeck. I'm glad we went up. A few years ago, they installed a new attraction to the old SkyDeck I remember. It's a glass box, comprised of three .5" thick, yes half-inch (so 1.5" total) of glass, suspended off the side of the building over 1,400 ft in the air. This was freaking awesome! Not gonna lie, there's a slight psychological barrier there to overcome, even for me and I'm not afraid of heights. This was tits. 1.5" of glass being the only thing between you and air for 103 floors. Haha!

Well worth the trip.

b3dd3760.jpg

33406251.jpg

e2119e0e.jpg

6f6007d5.jpg

so did your group man up and hop up and down in unison?

haha jaay kaaaaay looks awesome. i need to get back to chicago... haven't been there in a while.

Haha, we were told the glass is three individual layers of bulletproof glass combined and can support a 10,000 lb load on it. Jump all you want. Haha

Mentally though (besides the risk of looking like a retard), I couldn't bring myself to jump. Neither could anyone else in the group.

Little kids would be all excited to walk out onto them and as soon as they get out there, start crying and run back to the center of the building. :lol:

I love Chicago. The wife and I have gone every year for the past 4 as a quick Spring get away. Alas, she starts school at the end of the month, so another streak shot in the ass. The views from ST and Water Tower Place are awesome. We did the river cruise last year and got caught in a storm out on Lake Michigan. I took some pretty cool pics. I'll post up later. We always stay at the Hard Rock. Can't beat Rosebud's for Italian food and Giordano's for stuffed pizza.

Edited by cmh_sprint

I love Chicago. The wife and I have gone every year for the past 4 as a quick Spring get away. Alas, she starts school at the end of the month, so another streak shot in the ass. The views from ST and Water Tower Place are awesome. We did the river cruise last year and got caught in a storm out on Lake Michigan. I took some pretty cool pics. I'll post up later. We always stay at the Hard Rock. Can't beat Rosebud's for Italian food and Giordano's for stuffed pizza.

...taking notes !!!!!

I had 1 person ask me for a my list of Chicago things so I figured I would post it up here for others that may be interested.

-----

Red Bus tour is always a good way to see Chicago

Chicago riverboat tour(some run nightly, and do twilight cruises, also most serve alcohol on board)

Navy Pier

Sears Tower observation deck

Art Institute

Museum of Science and Industry

Adler Planetarium and the Shedd Aquarium

Field Museum

Millennium park (see the huge bean)/Grant Park/Pritzker Pavilion (might have live music)

House of Blues

Walk up and down Michigan avenue (Magnificant Mile -All Shopping with some uber expensive stores!!! I went into Tiffanys just to see the prices and they have $800,000 rings on display!!

Howl at the Moon (piano bar) and Green Mill (jazz). If you are staying downtown howl is a quick cab ride. Green Mill is much farther north, but you can get there by cab or L train.

Catch a game or get plastered in Wrigleyville

If you love MEAT and I mean LOVE it, check out Fogo de Chao @ 661 N La Salle Dr. Its a Brazilian Steakhouse and its all you can eat of a ton of different cuts of beef, pork, lamb, chicken, squab, etc. AMAZING. I ate at one of the originals in San Paulo Brazil a few years back.

Eat Chicago deep dish pie at Giordanos/ Lou Malnatis/ Uno’s - I like Lou Malnatis better that Girodanos

Check out Portillos (100 W. Ontario) and grab an Italian beef/Chicago style dog

Italian Beef Sandwiches - Al's Italian Beef or Mr Beef. Both have been featured on Food wars and are rated as some of the best out there.

Edited by flounder