Adopt my foster puppy - collie/shelti mix(?)

redkow97

Once again, I have a foster dog who is wearing out his welcome :p

this is "mighty mouse." (the shelter names a lot of dogs - give them a break).

MightyMouseSHM4.jpg

Mouse is around 6 months old, house-trained, and a pretty darn good dog. I think he'll stay on the smaller side (under 40 lbs).

He's neutered, and up on all his shots. You can see that part of his leg was shaved in the picture - that's where his IV went in for his surgery. He doesn't have any weird skin problems or anything like that.

Like any puppy, he's still learning his manners, but he's VERY (ridiculously) food-motivated, so it's not too hard to get him to cooperate for training.

Mouse is crate trained - during the month we've had him, he's gotten MUCH better about not whining when we first put him in the crate, and he's learning to "crate up" when we tell him to (did I mention he was food-motivated? Pupperoni does wonders.)

Because he's still young, we hesitate to crate him for more than 4-6 hours at most. Mouse is well socialized with other dogs and not aggressive at all. He is slightly protective, and will bark at my dog when we're playing, and he thinks hank is getting too rough with me. either that, or he's just jealous of the attention.

All the dogs we foster can be adopted through Secondhand Mutts http://www.secondhandmutts.org/adoptlist.html

• Upvote 1

Trade for a border collie, juat over a year old? :lol:

ha - he's not mine to trade. The boarder collie too smart for its own good?

for a Collie mix, Mouse seems a little "special" sometimes. I'm sure it's just him being a puppy, but it's good for a laugh or ten...

ha - he's not mine to trade. The boarder collie too smart for its own good?

Something like that. She's a pretty good dog, very loveable, pretty well behaved (now) but just can't get her 100% on the potty training. From what I've heard about the breed, I'm not really surprised though.

• 4 weeks later...

bump - this guy got adopted, and then returned 3 days later by a totally flaky "owner."

The woman claimed her 2 yr old was allergic to the dog, but having met her (even briefly) I think she just had no idea how much attention a 6 month old pup would require, and made up the allergies.

Mouse has been back with us for a couple of weeks, and is better than ever with his house training. He does bark when he hears noises, but he's still young.

He is MUCH better about "staying" when we put food down for him, and will wait to be told when he can eat (rather than jumping up and smacking me in the face with his head when I bend over to put down his bowl).

Mouse is kind of a jerk with cats and won't leave them alone. He wouldn't hurt one, but he tries to play with them like they're dogs, and they tend to not appreciate that.

Like any puppy, he is better behaved when he's well exercised. He'd be a great only-dog, but gets along fine with other dogs too - they just have to be willing to tolerate the fact that he doesn't know when to stop "playing." Again, he's a puppy, and still learning his manners, but he's turning into a great dog.

Its really cool of you to help and open your home to these guys. I hope he finds a good home as well. It must be hard to let them go after spending so much time with them. Ill pass the word for you while im doing the same for Ricco.

Edited by SPDLR