DEFCON 18: Pwned By The Owner: What Happens When You Steal a Hackers Computer

Disclaimer

Two parter, but this made me laugh. It's no L33t haxxoring, but it's pretty comical to see the sleuthing of a semi-savvy user that caught a couple of lucky breaks vs. a low-life criminal.

Action at the 3:12 mark of video one and continues to video two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAI8S2houW4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSTFP6BYXAE

hahahahaha, i did something like that to the ass hole who stole my xbox 360 and cod4, he plugged the xbox into the internet and played some games cuz i went on my profile on xbox.com and it said i played games i have never owned like 3 hours after it was stolen so i got my serial number and called microsoft, they told me the ip address it was coming from and i did a DNS look up to find out the douche lived in my apartment, so i grabbed my remote which was still synced to the xbox and walked up and down the apartment just trying to turn on my xbox cuz they have a pretty good distance they will work, sure enough my controller lit up saying it was turning on my 360 and i called the cops lmao!

but moral of the story is if your gonna steal something, atleast be smart about it, i mean using the internet is just asking to get caught, atleast wipe the hard drive and dont use the guys accounts and shit, a 4 year old would know that!

Edited by JStump

but moral of the story is if your gonna steal something, atleast be smart about it, i mean using the internet is just asking to get caught, atleast wipe the hard drive and dont use the guys accounts and shit, a 4 year old would know that!

The majority of people who steal petty shit like this are pretty stupid to begin with, as evidenced by the fact that they are stealing petty shit. Do you really think they possess the cerebral fortitude to wipe hard drives?

If you're taking a poll, throw me in there as well. I've never been but really fascinated by it.

It's only like $150. August 4-7 in Vegas. Just be sure not to turn on your cell phone, laptop, etc., nor carry a passport or anything else with RFID. LOL

With the discount the room is $320. Not bad.

It's only like $150. August 4-7 in Vegas. Just be sure not to turn on your cell phone, laptop, etc., nor carry a passport or anything else with RFID. LOL

I was fortunate to get my passport right before they standardized on RFID. Even so, some quick smacks with a hammer takes care of the induction antenna pretty easily. :)

$500 bucks for hotel+entry not counting airfare isn't too bad. If you guys go this year seriously let me know.

I was fortunate to get my passport right before they standardized on RFID. Even so, some quick smacks with a hammer takes care of the induction antenna pretty easily. :)

$500 bucks for hotel+entry not counting airfare isn't too bad. If you guys go this year seriously let me know.

I'm thinking about it... and I'm thinking about riding out.

You just have to wrap yourself and your gadgets in electrostatic bags that hard drives and memory are packaged in lol