Dan Wesson 357

Gump

Really nice guns, my father has one with the 3 barrel set and he bought a 10" barrel to go along with it. One of the best shooting pistols I've shot, and the barrel swap system is really nice. Good luck with getting it, let me know how it shoots for you if you end up with it.

I have a friend with one of those and he loves it and while I can't vouch for it personally because I've never shot it I can say thumbs up to the Model 744 8" heavy barrel. I would almost like to trade my 8" barrel for a 6" but I can't really make up my mind.

It is not a hard job at all to do if you want to change barrels. After you have taken the barrel off and you have the bare frame assembly you will start by screwing the barrel into the frame. There is a feeler guage that goes between the cylinder and barrel, just turn snug the barrel so the feeler guage can be removed. Slide the barrel shroud over the barrel and onto the locater pin that keeps it from spinning, screw the barrel nut onto the barrel and tighten it down and remove the feeler guage. I then shoot 6-12 rounds and resnug the barrel nut because it will loosen after the first few rounds and it will stay tight after that, sometimes too tight so having a spare nut doesn't hurt

Wow, is that what those are worth now? They were $148 last time I looked. Ok that was a while ago. And that was the short barrel price, mis-marked on the long barrel. Long barrel was supposed to be $158 at discount. Cha-ching.

The 8 3/4" barrel is nice with a 2.5x scope. If you have the full vented full heavy barrel shroud, you can get a full vented shroud without the heavy barrel lug underneath, and mount the scope on that. Or vice versa. Changing the shroud then puts the scope on. The feel and weight and balance stays close to the same between the two setups.

Friends used to say that the cylinder wasn't beefy enough. Too weak. I say the cylinder is forged not cast. Plenty strong enough.

My dad has one of those too. I think he said he paid about $150 when he was stationed over seas. He regrets he didn't buy more of them when he bought his. His came with a gun belt style holster, but he doesn't have the shorter barrels or extra grips.

The price for that gun on gunbroker seems extremely inflated.