Anyone been to any of these roads?

600ZZ4eb

Hey guys,

Looking on the map for upcoming rides this year and stumbled across this section of Ohio just north of Huntington WV that could rival SE Ohio roads. I hope to make it out this way sometime this year. Here are some of the roads from the map: 522, 233, 325, 141, 553, 243, 217, 378, 775, 790 and 218. If the street view on google is fairly recent then these roads have good pavement and could be a load of fun!

Anyone been on any of these?

One of my friends that I went to college with lives in Ashland and I go see him every summer for a night. Then head up to Zanesville to meet the wife who usually goes to her sister's home there.

Anyway, I've ridden a lot of those roads and they are pretty decent. One of them - can't remember which for sure, but I think it's 775 - is marked with signs that say "Irish Road" or some shit like that. I took a pic of it and will try to find it.

The roads are fairly curvy and haved good elevation change as well. But they tend to be pretty narrow and have lots of driveway connections on them. Never see any cops and very few other cars at all.

edit: I'm a freakin' retard - it's the Welsh Scenic Byway, not Irish. it's comprised of Routes 35, 325 and 233. Like I said, good road. Dunno what's so Welsh about it though.

Edited by Earache

Cool. I'm gonna try to get out there this summer if possible. I'm trying to find roads i have been on yet, but i absolutely love SE Ohio and St Rt 79 out of Newark going north. Just have to see whatelse is out there.

I'm a freakin' retard - it's the Welsh Scenic Byway, not Irish. it's comprised of Routes 35, 325 and 233. Like I said, good road. Dunno what's so Welsh about it though.
The area is called Welsh Hills. In the 1800's lots of immigrants from Wales came there.

I'd be game for checking it out. Been down there in a car several times, but never on the bike.

The area is called Welsh Hills. In the 1800's lots of immigrants from Wales came there.

I'd be game for checking it out. Been down there in a car several times, but never on the bike.

I bet not one person that lives there can point to Wales on a globe or tell me where it is.:p

Thanks for the history lesson!

Hey guys,

Looking on the map for upcoming rides this year and stumbled across this section of Ohio just north of Huntington WV that could rival SE Ohio roads. I hope to make it out this way sometime this year. Here are some of the roads from the map: 522, 233, 325, 141, 553, 243, 217, 378, 775, 790 and 218. If the street view on google is fairly recent then these roads have good pavement and could be a load of fun!

Anyone been on any of these?

I put a small post on here back on 7/7/10 about some of these roads.

790,775 from Wigus to Lecta,,217 especially from 7 to 218 :bow: are all very twisty and good.218 is good,but it always seems to have alot of gravel in corners.141 is more open,kinda like 800.If you're in that area and like twisty roads check out Greasy Ridge road...it parallels 775.If the pavement is still good that is one twisty road.The pavement was getting bad on the southend last year,but the rest of Greasy Ridge is one of the best county roads I know.Have fun...Gallia and Lawerence counties are really overlooked when it comes to good riding.

Just for fun...google Greasy Ridge.

Awesome, i plan on trying to get down there this year. thanks

I put a small post on here back on 7/7/10 about some of these roads.

790,775 from Wigus to Lecta,,217 especially from 7 to 218 :bow: are all very twisty and good.218 is good,but it always seems to have alot of gravel in corners.141 is more open,kinda like 800.If you're in that area and like twisty roads check out Greasy Ridge road...it parallels 775.If the pavement is still good that is one twisty road.The pavement was getting bad on the southend last year,but the rest of Greasy Ridge is one of the best county roads I know.Have fun...Gallia and Lawerence counties are really overlooked when it comes to good riding.

Just for fun...google Greasy Ridge.

Year before last I took those backroads down to Huntington WV. Mapped a rt taking 35 to Jackson, then 93 to Oakhill. Caught 233 south thorugh Kitchen on down to 141 to the right (?south?) riding in Wilgus. Took 775 south down to 7 running along the river.

Outstanding scenery, rode through the bottoms, into some real Appalachia life....horse drawn plows, great 2 lanes but not for speed. Lots of blind curves (miss em you go over some good drop offs). Just before catching 141 I ran through some real desolate area's as I did running through Wayne Forrest. Almost like Dueling Banjo's/Deliverance type scenery in places.

It'd be great if there was some kind of mapping application that could label the roads according to condition. Other riding sites color code roads according to technical difficulty.

Good to hear. I'll just have to watch this space for places to stay away from. Every now and then I get word on road that's just been freshly paved and it's fun to check 'em out. Last year, I was watching the ODOT web site for road repavings (gotta love that stimulus money) and found that SR356 was just freshly paved.

But like I said, if there was a single map that could show stuff like that, it'd help route planning and stuff.

Damn DAC,it sounds like you're as ate up as I am in trying to find freshly paved great roads.It's good to hear that I'm not the only one watching the ODOT site to find the paved roads,I was starting to think I'm obsessed.

But then again,maybe we both are.

Yeah. I'm not seeing anything new on the site these days. Mostly 2010 stimulus stuff. Hope the roads don't suffer much from the lack of funds.